GS850L Head Gasket Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L Head Gasket Options

My head gasket appears to be leaking over #1 & #2 cylinders on the exhaust side (GS850L). In an effort to continue to keep costs down, I am considering fabricating a gasket from stock/generic gasket sheet. Others have suggested I just use black RTV liquid gasket alone.

Any thoughts? Much thanks.

I would not use the RTV.

poot

Comment

Sometimes there could be clearance issues, i would use gasket material i used .062 thick auto parts house gasket material, i made mine it took about 6 hours but it can be done, cut the bolt holes out with a brass ferrule and a hammer, mark the outside with a fine line pencil, cut with a razor blade and good to go....
      I bought a spare for $1 + shopping on e-bay
      Gotta adj those valves sometime this winter....
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Re: GS850L Head Gasket Options

Originally posted by A T
        My head gasket appears to be leaking over #1 & #2 cylinders on the exhaust side (GS850L). In an effort to continue to keep costs down, I am considering fabricating a gasket from stock/generic gasket sheet. Others have suggested I just use black RTV liquid gasket alone.

Any thoughts? Much thanks.
        The Head gasket is a special metal compression gasket that needs to seal out combestion as well as oil, ( thats why the head gasket is around 85 bucks) The cylinder holes in the head gasket are part of the combustion chamber and must be able to take high heat.If you just rtv or generic gasket material the head gasket, I would say your problems are just begining, You could generic gasket the cylinder base gasket.Knuckle under and break the dollars free here, this is not the job to save money on.

Comment

I remember gsbert saying he reuses gaskets, coates both sides with hi temp paint.
          You could pm him and get the detail's,I have not tried this but have a chat to him.

Comment

The valve cover gasket is a very different animal than the HEAD to cylinder gasket. I would not make a head gasket from paper gasket material, it would probably not last very long. The cam cover gasket can be made but it is really tricky.

i bought a couple on ebay for 20 dollars and now have all I need.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

My bad. It is my valve cover gasket that is leaking. Sorry for the misleading initial description. And thanks to duaneage for your discernment and added thought, as well as everyone else's.

With that said, is the RTV an option in place of a traditional or fabricated gasket? Thanks.

Comment

Check out these folks..

The torque spec is very different, DO NOT over tighten these.

Comment

Working...
                X