Switch guts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switch guts?

I'm working on my friends GS450L, trying to get the front brake light switch and clutch safety switch working. All of the contacts are there and I can get it to stay engaged or disengaged, but I can't get it to operate when the lever is moved. When he got ht ebike it was in pretty sad shape and some parts were missing so I wouldn't be suprised if something wasn't there that should be. Should there be a little spring or something sitting sideways inside the housing to push the contact back after the lever is released? I've checked all of the diagrams I can find and see nothing.
    1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
    The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Yes there's a spring in there,keep's the moving part of the switch in contact with the face that the wires are attached to.
    Any spring will do as long as it fits.

Comment

I got a NOS switch kit for it. It had the spring for the contact in it. You'd think it would have had the other one too.
      1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
      The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

From memory ,there is only one spring and it sits behind that moving contact to maintain a bit of pressure, the cut out in the brake lever does the full job of moveing that switch.

Comment

Repaired mine this weekend.

I repaired mine this weekend using a cut-down ball point pen spring and the head of a stainless steel rivet as the contact. (the old guts were badly corroded). I scraped the contacts on the housing side clean with some emery cloth, assembled the bits, and it works fine.

Comment

There should be a plastic slide block with a spring in it and a copper contact that goes over the spring and snaps into the plastic slide block then the cover with the wires go underneth held on by two screws.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Does this look familiar?

(scroll down -- third item down)

That's probably the stuff you need. At least you can see what it looks like.

Only $9.95, too!
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
              X