Honda Regulator Modification Offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda Regulator Modification Offer

I am going to do a pictorial for the GS Resources that shows step by step how to modify, test, install, and test again a Honda Regulator in a GS. This will be very helpful to others as not a day goes by that someone is not looking for instructions or advice on this.

Anyone that has a Honda Regulator but is shy about modifying it could send their regulator to me to be used in the series. I will cover return postage back after I am done and you will have a famous RR for your Suzuki. I am looking for more than one for this pictorial since I want to show different examples of modifying the regulators.

If your interested and want to help, or just need to get a regulator modified cheap, PM me so we can discuss further.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

After you do this, you should give it to Bwringer for his website.

I think it's great.

Comment

don't forget to E-mail Frank and let him know so he can make it a permanent sticky!!

Comment

Frank gave me the green light on this.

Anyone that has done the mod can also submit pictures of mounting brackets or other issues they ran into.

I am looking also for a cross reference of the RRs and where they were used, I plan to talk to ShinDenGen this week and see if they can help me out. It would be great to know what models are feasible and what to avoid. I see a bunch on eGay all the time but not all can be used , especially the models used with the field coil Stators.

Comment

Great idea. If you can it would be nice to cover that replacement on the early GSs that have a separate regulator and rectifier like my '78 750. I have no idea how much difference it makes as far as mounting and the wiring...

Thanks for doing this.

Comment

AFAIK the separate systems were a little bit more reliable than the all in one units. I don't have a suitable bike to test such a system on but it may get an honorable mention.

Comment

Is there another stator (aside from the Electrex one) that can be used in place of the stocker to go along with this modification?
              2010 Honda VFR1200F
              1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
              Being Revisited
              1981 Honda CM400T
              http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

I don't think stators are interchangeable between Honda and Suzuki. It would involve real engineering to do it, not worth it considering the cost.

The stators are not the real problem anyway, it is the RR. Luckily most Suzukis use the same stator across many years and models. I think the older 10 pole models can be upgraded to the 12 pole.

Comment

2 Regulators arrived today and passed a bench test. They are a SH232 and a SH532 model. I will modify both tommorrow night and hopefully by this weekend will have a pdf doc available for review.

Any old hands that want to review the final doc for errors PM me and I will enail an advance copy.

This will hopefully provide a first stop for all the Honda Regulator Mod questions, just like the stator papers and carb cleaning 101, so accuracy is important.

I am going to try and get specifications from SDG and maybe a OEM amatrix from them. Can't hurt to ask.

Comment

Duane...is this a dead project??

Comment

I didn't notice this thread before.
                      Very good of you Duane to help people. Have a great weekend.
                      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Good question, it's a great idea Duane, don't let it die. Your time will be greatly appreciated my friend.

Comment

Duanage, i have converted mine to a shindengen 530-12k, i will take it off my bike this weekend and take pictures of it and it's mounting to show you if it will help.
                          my old thread http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=83313
                          Last edited by rustybronco; 05-30-2006, 12:29 PM.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                          X