URGENT HELP GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

URGENT HELP GS550

I have to rebuild a GS 550 engine today. I am all set with the re-assembly but I need to know the cylinder stud torque settings and the cam timing procedure. Thanks for any help out there on the interweb. Rik

Pick up a manual for it. I have hte stuff at home. but you need ALL the torque setttings.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

I don't have a manual or the luxury of time to get one. The cam timing is what is really bothering me. Maybe some notes on the disassembly will be enough. Back to the bench...

Comment

OK all I need to confirm due to hasty dismantling is how many pins between the marks on the cam sprockets? I have a GS450 manual and a GS1100 manual and that is the only major discrepancy between both engines! Rik

Comment

20 pins from arrow to arrow, 14.5-16.6 lb-ft and the two 6mm bolts 5.0-8.0 lb-ft. from my haynes gs550 and gs750 manual 1977-1982
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thank you, Rustybronco. That's what I needed. Rik

Comment

Got 'er did! Thanks again, Rusty. 1980 GS550L was overfilled with oil by previous owner so blew cyl. head gasket, base gasket and rocker cover gasket. I got it stripped yesterday down to the cases and rebuilt today. Most time was getting the old gaskets off and most time wasted was fitting barrels back to front(went on straight away too!) and timing the ex. cam. Arrow had to be parallel to, not level with, gasket face. It's running like a sewing machine now with no leaks. Sometimes the starter clutch does and sometimes it doesn't but I couldn't get the rotor off to have a look. Any clues? All done with a manual for a 16v 1100( I have 3) and a manual for a 450(the wifes) and a little help from Rusty! The last time I was inside an engine was a 400/4 over 20 years ago so I am well chuffed> Thank you and goodnight, Rik

Comment

Hey, I didn't realize you had OTHER gs manuals. :-) That changes things signifigantly. Im' glad you got things done!
                You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Working...
                X