Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP - she cuts out with throttle but idles OK

HELP!!!
    Got a 86 gs450L as a present from my brother. She starts and runs at idle but immediately dies if you give it any throttle. Starts right back up easily. I let her warm up completely, ran carb cleaner through the tank, checked the petcock. My brother says he pulled the carbs and cleaned them but I don't know. She has a new battery, new plug/wires, and oil. Was sitting for some time before he got it. She starts up easily, though you gotta keep the choke out for a few minutes. Any suggestions? I haven't checked the voltage yet. I am going to check the air filter and fuel filter next.

Either uber rich or uber lean... does it still cut out if you let it run for awhile and warm up? I'd hazard a guess that it's overly rich.

Comment

The cutting out continues after its warmed up. I had her idling for over 30 mins last time in 70 degree weather. One thing I forgot is that once warmed up if I open the choke the engine immediately races to about 6K rpm. does that mean rich or lean?

Comment

Your carbs need to be disassembled and cleaned.

Comment

your carb slides are sticking. Or your main jets are plugged. Take the carbs apart, clean the main jets, and clean the slides.
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Most likely fuel starvation.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks, I will post a reply if this fixes it. I have never worked on carbs so I wanted a little input first.

Comment

Well, I couldn't get the carbs off before it got dark, so I drained the tank and let it sit. When I went back a few weeks later and added the gas back to the tank I saw it was nasty yellow, almost brown. I realized my brother must have put fresh gas on top of old gas, which was why the bike ran when I first got it but got progressively worse. I completely drained the tank, got fresh gas, added 3 bottles of carb cleaner and 1/2 gallon of gas and ran the bike. It didn't like running on the cleaner so I gave it a spray of intake cleaner in the airbox to keep her going. After a little while i was able to rev it up, each time a little higher. After about 15 minutes I was able to get it to full throttle and throttle response was improving. Added a full tank of gas with stabilizer and ran her down the block. In the spring I will put more cleaner through as I ride and have the carbs professionally cleaned next winter if they'll hold out. I am planning a pretty serious restoration for next winter.
                Thanks for the help, knowing that it was a dirty jet or slide helped me to know I was on the right track.

Comment

DC,

Those carb's need to come off and be disassembled and soaked, then new o-rings and needle and seats installed. Carb cleaner in the tank is only a patch and can cause more problems then you may know. Carb cleaner distroys rubber.

If you haven't ever worked on them, they are easy to work on. That is what I do. I have a side business. I can either walk you through them or do the work if you are interested. All you will need is a kit for each carb. And if you do the work yourself, try and find some Berrymen carb cleaner in a gallon can with the basket O'reilly's or Autozone or Advanced auto and I'm sure there are other than handle it. Then they will need to be adjusted and synchronized.

Good luck!

Gary the Toymechanic

Comment

Working...
                  X