1983 GS750ES Oil Filter and Chain Lube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS750ES Oil Filter and Chain Lube?

Any folks have some recomendations on oil filter brands and part#'s for my bike? Where do you like to buy supplies online?
    Also, I am a new owner. How often should I be maintaining my chain, what should I be doing, and with what products. Thanks as usual!
    -LK

Re: 1983 GS750ES Oil Filter and Chain Lube?

Originally posted by loment11
    Any folks have some recomendations on oil filter brands and part#'s for my bike? Where do you like to buy supplies online?
    Also, I am a new owner. How often should I be maintaining my chain, what should I be doing, and with what products. Thanks as usual!
    -LK
    I use Suzuki filters. I think any filter is fine.
    Bikebandit, Dennis Kirk, etc. I don't order much over the net though.
    As for the chain, I use Maxima Chain Wax.
    I just bumped up an old topic about general chain care for those interested. It's in the "Tips and tricks" section, right by the top now. Someone needs to teach me how to provide a link (E-Z step by step).
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I was suprised to find that my local auto parts store carries an oil filter for my GS850L. You might try them before ordering paying shipping and waiting for an oil filter.

Comment

I just bought a bike the same as yours and I find bikebandit.com is the best I got everything I need from there

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          -LK
          I just bumped up an old topic about general chain care for those interested. It's in the "Tips and tricks" section, right by the top now. Someone needs to teach me how to provide a link (E-Z step by step).

Keith, Go to the page you want to link to. Click in the big wide white box which shows where your at, this is the address bar. When you have clicked it, it will be highlighted, mine turns blue. Then at the top left of the page you will see the choices of File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools and help. With the address highlighted click on Edit, then from the drop down list click on copy. Now go to where you want to post that link. Click where you want it posted and go back to the top left of the page and click Edit again, THEN in the drop down menue hit paste, The link will then appear there. I'm suprised with the amount of help you volunteer around here that you didn't get detail within the first 5 minutes. Thanks for all your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
            -LK

Keith, Go to the page you want to link to. Click in the big wide white box which shows where your at, this is the address bar. When you have clicked it, it will be highlighted, mine turns blue. Then at the top left of the page you will see the choices of File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools and help. With the address highlighted click on Edit, then from the drop down list click on copy. Now go to where you want to post that link. Click where you want it posted and go back to the top left of the page and click Edit again, THEN in the drop down menue hit paste, The link will then appear there. I'm suprised with the amount of help you volunteer around here that you didn't get detail within the first 5 minutes. Thanks for all your efforts.
            Thank you. I'll copy this and try it out.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay
              -LK

Thank you. I'll copy this and try it out.

Just remember, something has to be highlighted for edit copy to work, and you have to click somewhere for edit paste to work. You're very welcome.

Comment

I usually buy the filters locally as needed. However, if I'm placing a big parts order for OEM bits and pieces, I usually add in several OEM o-rings and filters while I'm at it.

NAPA auto parts has a filter kit (filter and o-ring) made by Wix, and most auto parts stores have Fram filter kits (Fram part # CH6000). Much as I hate Fram's crappy auto filters, the motorcycle filter seems OK, and it's usually pretty cheap.

Pep Boys has Purolator filter kits, which have always worked fine for me.

These filters have been used for many years by many different Suzukis. If you can't find a cross-reference, it's usually the first motorcycle filter on the rack, or the first one with a Suzuki cross-reference. Open up the box and see if the filter looks right. Then look at the o-ring -- if it's the distinctive three-lobed o-ring, it's the right filter.

The Emgos sold by many motorcycle shops are good filters, but they usually do not include the crucial o-ring. That seems pretty stupid to me, since it's not a good idea to re-use an o-ring more than once.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Autozone carrys stp oil filters.

Keith click on the address bar to highlight it (it should be blue) hold down the ctrl key and press c (copy) then type what you would like and when you are ready to insert that text hold down the ctrl key and press v (paste)

VOLA' try it!
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Wix brand, as mentioned above, are the best you can buy. There have been several in depth studies (I don't have the web addy's unfortunately) that prove it.

I can never find them under the "Wix" name, but Wix filters, Napa Gold filters and Carquest filters are all made by Wix, and are the same exact filter.

I just call up my local Carquest and give them the Fram filter number so they can cross reference it.

As for chain maintenance - I'm severely anal-retentive about my chain, I clean it and lube it about every 400-500 miles.

If it's non-o-ring, spray it with WD-40 and scrub it good with an old toothbrush, then spray some WD-40 on a clean rag and wipe the chain down with the rag. Then take a dry portion of the rag and use it to dry the chain. Wait a bit, then use the Maxima Chain Wax as Keith suggested - again, it's pretty much the best stuff you can buy, and it WON'T fling off.

If your chain is o-ring, do the steps above, but substitute mineral spirits or kerosene in place of the WD-40. I prefer to pour mineral spirits into a spray bottle and spray down the chain with it.

Hope this helps, and hope you enjoy your 83 750E - from a new fellow 83-750E owner.

Comment

Working...
                    X