Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

later model fork swap for 77 gs 750 help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

later model fork swap for 77 gs 750 help!

got the forks I won on ebay today they have the air caps ,dual disc set up and bult in ignition switch now I wish I had done more research! lol ..the new tripple clamps have tapered roller bearings and the old ones have the balls ...my clymers manual says that removing to bearings from the later fork takes special tools and before I get too carried away I would like to know if this swap will even work...I wasnt doing this to change to dual discs just actually needed the left fork leg or even just the tube for my 76 gs 750 (mines bent) what a can of worms ..I know I should have done more research !! the new set up is a couple mills bigger diameter too the tubes I mean..and beefyer looking clamps Im thinking they were from an 1000 or 1100 but still guessing here ...
    if any one has any idias or answers that would be great but I know for sure the bearing races are different in the frame so Im not sure what the solution might be ..when I find out for sure these are useless for me I will post the dually set up on parts for sale or swap here..on the best site on the planet gsrecources..

waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh !! there I feel better now!

If they were from a 650G (the ebay forks) you will be please to know they are probably the same diameter and only 1/4 inch shorter. I worked with another member that has a 78 750 and the forks were the same diameter and the swap should be easier than you think.
    I understand you can also convert the older bike to roller bearings, which are better.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

What model bike did the e-bay forks come from? If they're from an 850/1000/1100 G model GS, the length should be very close (this is a good thing). You already know that the fork tube diameter is 2mm larger. The steering head bearing issue can be a little tricky. The triple trees you bought use a bottom bearing that's larger as well as being tapered. You'll need to either turn down the triple tree in a lathe or press out the larger stem & replace it with a 750 size one. What ever you decide to do, replace your loose ball bearings with tapered rollers. Several companies sell conversion kits.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by humhead
        What model bike did the e-bay forks come from? If they're from an 850/1000/1100 G model GS, the length should be very close (this is a good thing). You already know that the fork tube diameter is 2mm larger. The steering head bearing issue can be a little tricky. The triple trees you bought use a bottom bearing that's larger as well as being tapered. You'll need to either turn down the triple tree in a lathe or press out the larger stem & replace it with a 750 size one. What ever you decide to do, replace your loose ball bearings with tapered rollers. Several companies sell conversion kits.

Terry
        850/1000/1100 G forks are larger and the triple tree is almost an inch wider, it won't work unless you get the axle AND the triple tree may not fit against the stops on the frame. If they are 650 forks your gonna be OK. From the description of the caps being on each fork I bet they're 650 forks because the 850 had a air tube, not individual caps.

Measure the length and diameter of the sliders from the top of the fork mechanism to the aircap end

Comment

Contact All Balls racing Products! The may be able to supply the correct adapter bearings

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage
            the 850 had a air tube, not individual caps.
            850 forks didn't come from the factory with an air balance tube. It was a popular aftermarket option for all bikes with air forks. I have a 79 1000 parts bike with an air tube with pressure gauge. You're right about the axle. The lock "nub" on the bottom of the triple tree can be ground off.

Terry

Comment

I beg to differ. The 82 850G had a crossover tube half way down the tubes. A small hole was in the slider and there was a collar that fit over the hole in the slider. This had a hose that went to the other fork. It was approximately behind the suzuki badge

Comment

Well i can't say if my 1982 gs 850g forks are the original forks, but they have individual caps on the tubes and no balance tube between them, i'm not offering this for argument just saying what is on mine.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thanks now Im really confused jus kiddin! more ques

thanks for the input that helps a lot ! about this bearing kit ..how does it deal with the races in the frame? that where the cups are right? that accept the ball bearings on my 76 do these press out the ball races I mean ? and the tapered races then press in? where is this kit available? pehaps they will have some idias...just checked and you were right about being wider ..but only about 1/2 an inch looks like..
                  also found some marks on the fork legs that read 4081 im thinking they are from an 81 especially after looking at some suzuki parts website with diagrams

still hoping someone is going to come along and solve this for me that really has been there and really does have the tshirt ..lol ..no pun intended !!

Comment

ok got it thanks

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                    Contact All Balls racing Products! The may be able to supply the correct adapter bearings
                    thanks missed that the firs time I read all the replys to my plight!

Comment

yeah you are right they are wider

checked that out just now looks like 1/2 inch wider so then Im srewed with the axle spacing too ..I see what you are getting at thanks!
                      850/1000/1100 G forks are larger and the triple tree is almost an inch wider, it won't work unless you get the axle AND the triple tree may not fit against the stops on the frame. If they are 650 forks your gonna be OK. From the description of the caps being on each fork I bet they're 650 forks because the 850 had a air tube, not individual caps.

Measure the length and diameter of the sliders from the top of the fork mechanism to the aircap end

Comment

I beg to differ. The 82 850G had a crossover tube half way down the tubes. A small hole was in the slider and there was a collar that fit over the hole in the slider. This had a hose that went to the other fork. It was approximately behind the suzuki badge
                        Interesting. I've never seen what you're referring to & the parts fiches don't show it either. Your fork tubes are drilled & connected to each other? Did it work well?

Terry

Comment

Working...
                        X