Requesting diverse help: 1982 GS850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting diverse help: 1982 GS850G

Alright, any help/advice/opinions any one can offer here is greatly appriciated. This is year two with my 1982 GS850G and I'm planning a decent road trip for the coming summer (1500mi). I've had a few problems since I've had her, all sounding similiar to various ones I've read on the forums but nothing seems to have completely helped. And before anyone asks: I've had the carbs looked at by a trusted friend with lots of experience in motorcycles. I suppose there still COULD be a problem, but I would be suprised. The big problem, if this causes an epiphany in any of you, is with these three symptoms:
    1. Mid-range hesitates severly. Under modest acceleration (60%?) once I hit about 4500-5000 it will bog down and feel like it's sputtering, but around 6000-6500 (or at full throttle, usually) it'll break out of it and just rip down the road, accelerating strongly.
    2. Choke-dependency. Likes always having a little for riding and a lot for starting (even in the warm summer) unless she was just turned off.
    3. Power loss. Occassionally when cruising around 45-60mph will sometimes just start losing power, until eventually I'm at full throttle still slowly decellerating and she'll either eventually, or once I clutch, stall. Other times, it'll run beautifully the whole ride.
    Anyway, my first real direct question is about the gs850's air box. It seems horrible! Mine looks pretty nasty and not too well held together, giving me not much faith in it. I'd like to replace it with pod filters, but am worried about weather damage. Does anyone have any experience with this? Anyone think this could help my above problems? My other conern is rather switching from stock air box to individual filters would require a rejet. Could I expect a performance gain? Or would I need to swap the stock exhaust to see one?
    Secondly, I need to add some storage capacity for the trip. I have a Windjammer IV Fairing, but I think I'll need just a bit more ;-) Can anyone recommend a decent brand or source for saddlebags? I've had remarkable bad luck finding them for my bike on ebay. I'd also like a Passanger Back Rest and Luggage Rack.
    Which, links to my third question: compatability. Which other years of GS have interchangable parts with mine? The parts in interest being those above. I can't find much for an 1982 GS850. I also can't find a replacement exhaust: MAC seems to have the widest availability, but doesn't list the 850 past 1980. Would that still fit?
    Alright, I'm sorry this is such an ear-full, but thanks in advance for any direction you all can give.
    -- Ed Szurek

For your 850 to run right your stock airbox needs to be sealed tight and in good condition. Absolutely critical for proper running. Pods will require rejetting etc.

From my experience, not much use in doing anything else to get your engine to run right until your airbox is in good working order.

I'm not sure about an exhaust for your year.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-11-2006, 05:43 PM.

Comment

You seem to have the classic symptoms of a lean running GS850!

The side covers on the airbox MUST be sealed -- most of us use self-adhesive weather stripping to replace the deteriorated original foam seals. The only entry points for air should be the "snorkel" on the back of the airbox and the holes on the bottom.

It seems silly, but 850s run terribly with extra air. With a properly sealed airbox, they're "like buttuh".

If you haven't already, replacing the intake boot o-rings is absolutely mandatory. You will also need intake boots if the old boots are stiff and cracked. Here are instructions:

Also check the boots between the carbs and the airbox, and make sure none of the clamps are stripped or bent.

The air filter is a piece of oiled foam in a cage. Get a new air filter (if you haven't already) soak it with oil, then squeeze out all excess oil. Use paper towels to remove as much oil as you can from the foam. Let it sit a couple of hours, then use more paper towels to remove more oil if you can. You want it to have a light coating of oil, but no blockages from excess oil.

And, of course, check valve clearances and sync the carbs. (These don't really have much to do with your current problems, but will help the bike run even better and more smoothly.) Many of us use and highly recommend RealGasket silicone valve cover gaskets: http://realgaskets.com .
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Ditto to all BWRINGER said!
        sounds like the air filter is the place to start, but o-rings, boots and carb overhauls may be in order sounds leaner than my 82 850g was when i got it.
        air filter was missing and also the side seals were not existant
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Just in case you were wondering, I would add that there's no point to starting the engine at all without the full air filter and airbox installed. It won't even idle, and will barely run.

850s are picky like that, and some people have gotten really confused trying to see if the engine runs better before assembling everything.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well... I went with your suggestions and just spent some time making the stock air box better. I already did the O-rings, re-everythinged the carbs, I have the silicon valve gaskets, and run premium for what it's worth. The stock air box got scoured and re-weatherstripped and I made it real tight with little-to-no chance of rogue air getting in.
            Thanks to you all, this 40F degree day not only do I have some extra money from not buying all the parts I was tempted to, I have a bike that screamed down-town! Cold as hell, but the hesitation was virtually eliminated and she felt quite a bit more powerful and confident in that power. I didn't ride for long enough to get my power drain/bogging problem, but I trust it'll be lessened as well.
            My hats off to you, gentlemen. Thanks a ton!

Comment

Their is a vast knowledge base here, so it pays to ask.

Comment

Working...
              X