X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Questions

Well guys, i have a quick question.

What parts make up the carb jets?

Example: I have a crappy set of 650 carbs, and a good set of 550 carbs. So i'm gonna swap all the 650 jets out of the bad set and into the 550 set. They obviously both are the BS32SS Mikuni's.

obviously i know the main jet, and pilot jets. But what else? Anything i need to know?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Long Answer

In general, the problem is going to be either that the carbs are dirty and need cleaned, or the o-rings are decayed and need replaced. it's not that likely that any of the jets are at fault, unless someone has installed improperly sized jets for your application. You may find that using your good parts in your bad carbs will cause more problems than it's worth because you will have disturbed those ancient o-rings.
    All variables aside, your best bet is probably to rebuild the set that is meant for your bike. (Assuming that all is stock) There is an excellent tutorial in the Technical section of the home page on rebuilding the BS carbs that took me from scared to comfortable in no time. http://thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm
    Be sure to buy new carb o-rings. A member sells a set for around $12. His web site is http://cycleorings.com/ . Also be certain to replace your intake o-rings (between you intake manifold boots and the head) while you have it apart. By them from a Suzuki dealership. They are a special heat resistant rubber compound. These are cheap and will make an enormous difference in how your bike runs as your old ones are almost certainly toast by now. Check the quality of your intake boots. If they leak, replace them.
    I know that this isn't the answer you were looking for, but I don't believe that simply swapping parts is the answer unless there are some other variables you didn't mention. If there is, let us know. There are a few members who are brilliant with carbs. By studying the images in the rebuild series, you should be able to find the info you are looking for on the individual hardware. As far as specifics as to the interchangeability between 550 and 650, I don't know, as I haven't been in to either of those bikes personally. I would bet that the jets and possibly the needles would be different.
    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2006, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Short Answer

Pilot Jet
      Main jet
      needle jet
      Jet needle

An explode view

Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2006, 03:41 AM.

Comment

There's a lot more than that. NO "tuning" parts are the same between the 550 and 650 carbs. the needle, slide spring, main air jet, pilot air jet, main fuel jet, pilot jet, and needle jet are different.

Just clean the 650 carbs. Many of those jets won't come out very easily. (read i've tried and destroyed one or two)
        You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
        If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
        1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
        1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
        1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
        1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
        1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Alright guys, thanks for your help. I was afraid it wouldn't be "that" easy.

Neobro know's what i'm talking about with what i want to do 550/650 swap, so i'll just keep looking for a clean set of 650 carbs....

Comment

Why you've got a set of soon to be cleaned ones in front of you.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Don't be afraid to do the rebuild yourself. It's not that hard. It just seems intimidating to the uninitiated.

Comment

Oh yeah, i've cleaned mine many times. Just don't know the interchangeability of the different jets.

But anyways, i've got a line on a set close to where i live.. I'll keep ya'll posted.

thanks again for your help..

Comment

Is something wrong with the carb bodies?

Comment

God forbid: I'm switching from a 550 motor to a 650 motor. So i need a set of 650 carbs. However, the one i have my eye on is covered in rust, and i was hoping to just pull the jets out of it, and put it in my 550 carb bodys...

Comment

Working...
                    X