No announcement yet.

Oil info from the "poll" section.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where is that Eating Popcorn Icon when you need it?
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

So just what is the correct oil for my popcorn popper?? Or just take it dry.

Glenn

Comment

We have the last laugh on him....

Ass holes, every last one of them all have one thing in common. Everyone who ever meets them says, "What an Ass hole"
        While you were attending your meetings and being fed B.S. by your bosses or whoever it was telling you what to believe, we were out riding.
        You come in here like the world's greatest gift to motorcycling at tell us we are stupid, because we were out riding.
        And the world is not flat, I can see that myself from my office window at 42,000 ft. when I'm not out riding.
        Not just my wonderfully overengineered GSes with thier wonderful crank bearings but a heck of a lot of different types of motorcycles.
        No clutch problems, while I was out riding.
        Get lost ass hole, I'm going riding.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

oil change

Ok now I have discovered that You have to change oil on motorcycles, I thoughy they were perma-lubed. so where is the hole to let it out of on my gs1000, and where do I put it in at, and how much, is there also a filter thing on it like Jeffy lube puts on my car, can Jeffy lube do my bike also?I have had the bike about 3 years is that to long to go between oil changes on a bike, 20k, Thanks for any help, oh yea what kind of oil should I use??

Comment

Originally posted by The Kelzer
            Well I guess if you guys all know more than a guy who has personally seen the motors after being tested then I guess all of you are pretty damn brilliant. Many also swore the world was flat as they didn't know any better. You all must be in that group too. (There are even some people from Arkansas that SWEAR we never made it to the moon).

Your intollerable ignorance aside, I'm very pleased to see that your GS's have held up as well as they have. They were seriously over engineered from the beginning and that pays off in being able to tolorate years of abuse. In fact I can't think of any I4 motor that has a non-plain bearing supported crankshaft. Those GS motors are still the rage in modern dragracing (soon to be eclipsed by the new Busa' motors as they are no longer making those ancient GS cases) and that says alot about their durability........
            Yes 83GK you are bizzarly ignorant. Time to open your eyes to the future. If someone gives you advice from personal experience, it's worth at least a try.
            With sympathy,
            Kelzer
            I will comment one last time before I close this thread from my postings: Mr Kelser, you have a whole lot' to learn about human relations, and I really hope you step aside from your omnipotence and look in the mirror at what myself and these posters here are telling you. You cut me down, you cut my state down, tell me I am ignorant, tell all the others posting here that they are ignorant, and yet you preach "if someones gives you advice from personal experience, it's at least worth a try"...perhaps the 'personal experiences of all posters on this thread except for one have to carry some kind of weight. For you to come on this forum and tell everyone here that since you sat in acouple of meetings that you are the sole authority on motor oils, you must either have some really big balls, or your as stupid as a box of rocks..I tend to think the latter applies in this case, and would be willing to bet $$ that several other posters on this thread would agree with me. You have not shown one thing that I have posted as being incorrect by any kind of proof whatsoever except you saying 'I saw it with my own eyes", well, hell! I guess since I live in Arkansas, and I Saw a UFO, that they must be undeniably real. This tells me since you can't put up, then do us all a favour and shut up. oh, and BTW, while your at it, Rotella 15w-40 is on sale at Wal-mart, perhaps since 'personal experience' tells me it works, that you should pick up a gallon and try it out. After all, it's all about personal experience,right?

Comment

Now THAT is just funnier than puppy schnit on the floor, barefooted in the dark. LMAO I can also verify your observation from a vantage point of 33,000 ft in freefall. LOL

Earl

[QUOTE=tkent02]A
              And the world is not flat, I can see that myself from my office window at 42,000 ft. when I'm not out riding.
              Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Why did the oil debate stop? This one has only made it 6 pages so far!
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

We seem to have run out of willing victims and the insult larder is depleted?
                  I use Log Cabin with butter additives. It sticks to the moving parts, stays slippery and gives the exhaust note that pleasant IHOPITA, IHOPITA sound.

Earl :-) :-)

Originally posted by Jethro

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Jethro!!!

#-o
                    Originally posted by Jethro
                    Cuz we agreed Earl had the last word...and now you screwed it up!

Oh, woe is we. 8-[

Edit:

Arrgh, how did Earl beat me to this??? Now it's my fault...
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2006, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I've been looking into what oil to change to for my Kawi ZX12, I want a good oil for obvious reasons. Here's some things I've found:

1. Brand name recognition and loyalty seem to be the key factor in most discussions, with alot of info being given coming from the company itself.

2. Alot of people in forums will descend into name calling and general bad behavior seemingly just for the sake of an arguement. This has nothing to do with whether they know what they're talking about or not.

3. While alot of people on forums are well intentioned, the info they give is wrong or misguided. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!!!

4. I've found that there is no research that will give a difinitive answer on whether you can use automotive synthetic in a motorcycle even though there's not alot of difference between the additives in any good quality oil.

5. There is almost no breakdown in oil of any kind in the first 800mi., which proves more or less that frequency of changes is more important than the kind of oil you use.

Here's about the best test I've seen yet on oils, but don't expect a diffinitive answer.http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/

Now can someone tell me what oil I should use!:-D

Comment

Sure, not a problem. Use Mobil 1 15w50 because I say so.

Earl :-)

Originally posted by solo 2
                        Now can someone tell me what oil I should use!:-D

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Sure, not a problem. Use Mobil 1 15w50 because I say so.

Earl :-)
                          Actually, that's the best reason not to!:razz: Just kiddin' Earl.
                          These oil debates will never get settled, that's for sure.
                          It's too bad that something as critical as oil choice has to be so confusing. We'd all like to know the "absolute" truth.
                          I used Castrol GTX 20/50 car oil for over 100,000 miles on my '79 1000 with good results. It was recommended by the lead mechanic at my Suzuki dealer.
                          After my rebuild, which cost me a pretty penny, I got all worried about oil choice after a few articles I read and decided to go with a "motorcycle only" oil...Motul "3000" 10/40. I've got about 30,000 miles so far with no problems.
                          I may be paying too much for oil now ($4/qt.) but I have peace of mind...I think.:roll: I know some people need to watch their wallet a little more and I understand wanting to save. The cost doesn't bother me enough or factor into my thinking.
                          What was an issue for me after my rebuild was not necessarily the kind of oil, but the weight. My new welded clutch basket/stiffer damper springs with aftermarket plates would drag with 20/50. No drag once I used 10/40, which was what the factory calls for anyway. My builder, Vance and Hines, said Motul was good oil.
                          I once read (at this site/info archives) that any oil rated beyond SG was actually TOO SLIPPERY(?) for roller bearing cranks. The bearings could actually slide or slip, instead of rolling. Sounded very convincing but that info appears to be lost now. I don't now what the facts are anymore. Everyone sounds like they know the facts.
                          As I've said, I've had good results with car and motorcycle oils. I don't like to think I'm being taken advantage of by spending more but there's more stuff to worry about than oil.
                          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                            I once read (at this site/info archives) that any oil rated beyond SG was actually TOO SLIPPERY(?) for roller bearing cranks. The bearings could actually slide or slip, instead of rolling. Sounded very convincing but that info appears to be lost now. I don't now what the facts are anymore.
                            I've heard that, too. In fact, it is mentioned in a technical column in Cycle Canada this month. I believe it's an old wives' tale. I've also heard the same story told in relation to synthetic versus conventional oil. However, every time I've researched the question, I find that the authoritative sources state that modern grades of motor oil work fine with roller/ball bearings. Anyway, any oil that is that slippery is probably not going to allow any wear whether those bearings are rollin' or slidin'. I'm sure there's lots of auto engines out there that use roller or ball bearings, and I've never seen an oil company warning about the problem in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
                              ...I once read (at this site/info archives) that any oil rated beyond SG was actually TOO SLIPPERY(?) for roller bearing cranks. The bearings could actually slide or slip, instead of rolling. Sounded very convincing but that info appears to be lost now. I don't now what the facts are anymore. Everyone sounds like they know the facts....
                              This same "too slippery" rumor has also been attributed to synthetic oil. In "The Truth About Motorcycle Oil" section of The Motor Oil Bible (pdf download) by Michael Kaufman, this question is addressed:

BEARING SLIPPAGE

Talk to many motorcycle manufacturers/dealers (especially HD), and you'll find that they might tell you to avoid synthetics in your bike. That trend is slowly changing, but I wouldn't be surprised if you run across someone who tries to tell you that synthetics will ruin your bike.

Most of them refer to bearing slippage. They say that synthetic oils are "too slippery" to maintain enough friction for bearings to roll as they are supposed to. As a result, the say that using synthetic oil will cause your bearings to "slip" instead. Of course, if that were to happen, flat spots would occur on bearings.

That is a bunch of nonsense. Of all the motorcycle mechanics I've ever spoken with, I've never had one of them say that they've seen any flat spots on bearings in bikes that used synthetic oil. It just doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by solo 2
                                ...Now can someone tell me what oil I should use!...
                                Earl has the right idea.

Use Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 because that's what I'm currently using. If I decide to change brands at some later date, check back to see what oil you should use.

Comment

Working...
                                X