New guy needing tech info.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy needing tech info.

Hello This is my first posting on this forum, I'v reciently purchased a used 92' Suzuki Gs500e. Im very happy with the bike so far (it's my first bike also) anyway I have discoverd one of the allen bolts that holds the exaust header on the left hand side is snapped off, pretty sure it was like that when I bought it. (it has been layed down once by a previous owner) tried to drill out the broken fastener, and remove with a screw remover, but no luck, So Iv pulled the engine apart and the and the local machine shop will be removing the broken fastener (I hope!) Ok, so assuming that all works out I must re-assemble the engine, This in my first bike but I have some limeted experience with engines so I think I can get it back together, pulled the diagrams off bike bandet and such, however I dont know the torq's for the fasteners :roll: and Im not sure how soon ill be able to get my hands on a shop manuial so if anyone out there knows the appropriate torq's for theses fasteners I would be very gratefull!! ok here goes.. (1) Cylinder head nuts ft/lbs? (2) Cylinder head cover allen key (4 short and 2 long ones) ft/lbs? (3) Breather cover bolt ft/lbs? (4) Camshaft upper "C" section journal (total of 4, held in place by 2 bolts each) ft/lbs?
    Ohh also if there is any fasterner in there that Iv left out feel free to let me know the approapiate ft/lbs for that also. Any hints and tips would be helpfull aslo, This is realy my only second time tearing an engine down of this type this much so im a bit nervouse. Well anyway thanks for your time! If you have the info feel free to e-mail me at jsmeltzer@superpa.net
    thanks!

-Jeffury-

Jeff
    there is a chart in my haynes that gives torque acording to the diameter of the threads in MMs. I will scan it tomorrow if i remember and post it here

Comment

Be aware that torque settings are sometimes determined by diameter AND a 'mark' on bolt head.For example, an 8mm bolt with a '7'on head,is torqued higher than an 8mm with a '4' on head. Of course, if no number or symbol, then you do go by the chart. Why is everything so complicated? KK
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

ohh

Sorry Slopoke didnt see where you posted the chart , I found it now thanks for your help!

-Jeff-

Comment

there is a chart in my haynes that gives torque acording to the diameter of the threads

you got what in your haynes 8O

Comment

Working...
          X