do i have to set timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

do i have to set timing

I installed my dyna s last night and didnt have a timing light so i just put her in and took her for a ride. She ran great no problems except for carb adjustment i am pretty sure. Do i have to set th timing or do you guys think i am okay. thanks

I would check the timing. Its a simple thing and the instruction on how to is included in the Dyna installation instructions.

Earl

Originally posted by odl777
    I installed my dyna s last night and didnt have a timing light so i just put her in and took her for a ride. She ran great no problems except for carb adjustment i am pretty sure. Do i have to set th timing or do you guys think i am okay. thanks
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

You're probably OK, as in it's probably not off by much, but you'd be even more OK if you double-check it. A couple of degrees won't affect power all that much, but it'll likely idle and run a little smoother. Heck, it's pretty much the last time you'll need to perform that chore, so why not?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thanks guys, i will check it.

Comment

You can set the Dyna S statically with a light or just remove all the plugs, connect 3 and 4 caps and watch/listen for the sparkplug to fire. Holding the rotor in fully advanced position can be a little awkward though.
          A timing light at about 2,000 rpm's is better/easier. No less than 2K though.
          Dab a little silicone to the sides of each sensor after tightening the set screws and they'll never move again.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

If you are friends with your car mechanic you might be able to Ride to his shop & borrow a timing light for 5 minutes. Also Some auto parts stores also have a tool loan program. With a timing light their is no question it is set right

Comment

Working...
            X