GS850G slow dripping Shaft leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850G slow dripping Shaft leak

I think I have a small leak coming out of the driveshaft on my 1980 GS850G. Is the shaft lubricated separately, or is it part of the engine oil system?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-13-2006, 05:05 PM.

Not sure about your question. Their are three oils--- Engine/trans oil reg 10/40 secondary gear 90 wt gear oil The rear differential 90 wt gear oil.
    The drive shaft is a self contained unit sort of like on a car The rubber boot is to keep the dirt out. You can get a slight seapage between the rear wheel & the differential if their is a lot of greese on the adapter splines

Comment

I have had slight leakage from the spacer between the shaft and the rear drive unit. For this I used a little blue silicone gasket maker. The shaft boot can also collect a little seepage over time and then if it cracks it will leak a small amount of gear oil.
      1982 1100G - 1979 1000SN Cooley #703 - 1982 Kawasaki ELR#337 - 1982 Katana 1000SZ (X3) #769, #872, #1963 - 1983 1100E mid-night blue (X2) - Ducati 907ie - 1976 GT750 Bad Buffalo

Comment

The spot that seems to have the leak is right by the kickstand. It's a very dark black oil that's coming out, but not a lot of it. I just changed the engine oil (10w40) yesterday, but I haven't really noticed any change in this drip. I'm going to try and clean the engine off later so I can have a clearer look.

Thanks!

Comment

what does the fluid smell like?
          compare it to the engine oil.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

On closer inspection, it doesn't seem like it's coming from the shaft after all. It actually looks like its coming out of the tailpipe! The joint where the underside of the pipe meets the shiny chrome part seems to have a very dark black oil seeping out.

The oil I just changed in the engine smells really sweet... almost like a strange mixed drink. The black stuff smells more like road tar. It wasn't all that smelly though... really had to get a good whiff to smell anything.

The bike has been smoking a lot... could this be something to do with that? Maybe oil getting into the cylinder and burning (smoke) with the black residue being shot out into the muffler?

Comment

How about taking the 2ndary oil filler cap and put a wood dowel, etc. down into it to see what that looks and smells like. The filler cap is on the LH side of the engine above the 2ndary gear cover.

Is the oil that you got out of the filler cap the same as the oil that is showing up by the sidestand??

Comment

Working...
              X