Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna coil help needed

OK I need help....again

After 23 years and 40,000 miles my spark plug wires are cracked and shot.
    Since Suzuki decided to make the coil and spark plug wires one piece, I decided to go with Dyna coils.
    The question is what coils do I need????
    The bike is stock as far as the motor is concerned. Only aftermarket is the Electrex stator and R/R.
    Thanks for the ideas...\\/

I want to get this problem taken care of before the big miles I plan on putting on this year.:-D
    Last edited by crag antler; 04-15-2006, 08:19 PM.
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Oh yeah, this is on the 1983 GS1100E8-[ 8-[
    Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
    2000 Kawasaki Concours
    Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Any 3.0 ohm coil should work.

Comment

Either the Dyna DC1-1 (3 ohms) or DC8-1 (5 ohms) will work. The factory coil specs are approximately 3-5 ohms. Dyna recommends 3 ohms for racing and 5 ohms for street use. The 3 ohm coils will run hotter and theoretically could overheat in a very hot environment (like under a tank over an engine on a 100+ degree day).

You can find all your coil and wire needs at Z1 Enterprises 1983 GS1100ED Ignition. Call Dyna or Z1 Enterprises to verify the coil choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks
          Either the Dyna DC1-1 (3 ohms) or DC8-1 (5 ohms) will work. The factory coil specs are approximately 3-5 ohms. Dyna recommends 3 ohms for racing and 5 ohms for street use. The 3 ohm coils will run hotter and theoretically could overheat in a very hot environment (like under a tank over an engine on a 100+ degree day).
          Why would the 3 ohm coils be recommended for racing if they had any tendency to overheat as compared to the 5 ohm? Racing would subject the coils to hotter temps than typical street use.
          I didn't know Dyna recommended 5 ohm for our bikes. I've always read/been told 3.3 ohms. The green coils, which are on my bike.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
            Why would the 3 ohm coils be recommended for racing if they had any tendency to overheat as compared to the 5 ohm? Racing would subject the coils to hotter temps than typical street use.
            I didn't know Dyna recommended 5 ohm for our bikes. I've always read/been told 3.3 ohms. The green coils, which are on my bike.
            I thought the 5 ohm coils were to be used with points ignition (?).

Comment

Originally posted by mark

If that's true then if I had to replace a faulty coil and went with dyna 3ohm it wouldn't work with my points until I swithed to the dyna s?

Comment

Originally posted by mark
                I run the Dyna S ignition. So I use their 3.3 ohm, green coils.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

From DYNA Ignition System Coil Requirements:

Originally posted by Dynatek
                  Recommended - DC7-1, DC8-1, DC10-1, DC3-1, DC6-1. Use coil with 5.0 ohms primary resistance for street use, 3.0 ohms primary resistance for racing applications.
                  Your question would be better addressed to Dynatek, but if you're interested in my take it would be this: Racing parts may be pushed to the threshhold of failure to gain a performance increase as long as they don't fail under these extreme conditions. A bike running a 3 ohm coil with an extra hot spark at 150 mph or higher may have the advantage of a 150 mph cooling wind compared to a stock bike with the same coil stuck in traffic on a very hot day. Since the stock specs for the coil are 3-5 ohms resistance, there probably isn't any noticeable advantage in running a 3 ohm coil on the street. The extra heat from the 3 ohm coil could be a disadvantage on the street.

You may be right, I'm just quoting what is printed on Dyna's site. There is no reason the 3 ohm coils shouldn't work very well other than the extra heat. The extra heat is probably not enough of an issue to cause many (or any) real world reliability problems. I think either the 3 or 5 ohms is O.K.. "You pays your money and you takes your choice".

Comment

I run the Dyna S ignition. So I use their 3.3 ohm, green coils.
                    Dynatek recommends using the 3 ohm coil with the Dyna S ignition. My quotes and comments were about coils for non-Dyna stock ignitions like crag antler is using.

Comment

OK. Don't want to create confusion.
                      The Dyna S ignition will run fine with the stock coils or any coil of at least 3 ohms. When I replaced my ignition, I visited and asked Dyna what coils I should get for best spark quality. They said the 3.3/35K volts (green/color coded) Dyna coils.
                      Now as for using higher voltage coils with points, I've never really checked into this because this combo doesn't make sense to me and so I've never dealt with it. Why use hotter/performance coils with points? But I suppose some do. I can see where hotter coils could cause pitting of the points? I'm not sure. But if the Dyna coils and the stockers still fall into that "3 to 5 ohm" range, why can't both be used with points?
                      Anyway, I may be wrong about my previous statement of not knowing Dyna recommended 5 ohm coils for our bikes (street use). If they do...then they do. I just knew that they also recommended the 3.3 ohm and that recommendation turned into this confusion.

Comment

Working...
                      X