Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain question

Greetings,

My chain has quite a tight spot that has developed over the past 3 months. After adjusting the slack of the chain this past weekend with GSCloudBreakMD, there is a noticeable lurch in the feel of the bike. I believe that this is due to the previously mentioned tight-spot.

How can this be overcome without replacing the chain?
    Or is it at all possible?

In the meantime I will be giving the chain a little more slack back to allow for smoother operation until the chain and sprockets are replaced.

Thanks in advance for all advice and instruction.

Dm of mD

Oh, while I'm here. I meant to ask for a reminder of who the dealer is that sells the sprocket conversion kits for our bikes. Or more specifically, my bike hehe.

I am thinking it's Dennis Kirk but I want to be sure before I get to calling random places hehe.

Thanks all.

Comment

Sometimes you can free a stiff link by taking the chain off and putting it in a vise and bending the chain side to side. I would NEVER do this.

Look for a sprocket kit for a 98-2004 Suzuki Bandit if you want to go with a 530 setup. Then you'll need a washer or a few washers to make up for the lip built into the OEM sprockets. These can be found at a hardware store.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        Look for a sprocket kit for a 98-2004 Suzuki Bandit if you want to go with a 530 setup. Then you'll need a washer or a few washers to make up for the lip built into the OEM sprockets. These can be found at a hardware store.
        This is the first time I have heard of this. I take it that this "conversion" changes the chain and sprockets to a 530 size? If so wouldnt you be able to go to any deeler and just order the sprockets for the 98-04 Bandit and buy a chain in the right length?

Comment

Originally posted by Rake78GS
          This is the first time I have heard of this. I take it that this "conversion" changes the chain and sprockets to a 530 size? If so wouldnt you be able to go to any deeler and just order the sprockets for the 98-04 Bandit and buy a chain in the right length?
          It's just cheaper to go online. There are people on ebay that sell quality chain and sprocket sets for about $129 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            It's just cheaper to go online. There are people on ebay that sell quality chain and sprocket sets for about $129 bucks.
            Will check Ebay today.
            I'm guessing the search string should be "GS chain conversion kit"????

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
              Will check Ebay today.
              I'm guessing the search string should be "GS chain conversion kit"????
              Just do a search for Suzuki 530 chain and sprockets. You will need a longer chain and there are charts that will tell you how much longer. On a 750 a 520 conversion is entire possible. It's what I use and it's the best lasting combo I've ever run. Regina Gold o-ring with Vortex sprockets.
              Last edited by Guest; 04-17-2006, 11:57 AM.

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GSXR-...spagenameZWDVW

Comment

Originally posted by Rake78GS
                  Well, you still need to pick the size sprockets you want, and I just buy a 120 length chain and cut it myself. My 1100E I think has a 17 tooth front and 48 tooth rear, which gives me close to the same ratio as stock (15/42?).
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                    Well, you still need to pick the size sprockets you want, and I just buy a 120 length chain and cut it myself. My 1100E I think has a 17 tooth front and 48 tooth rear, which gives me close to the same ratio as stock (15/42?).
                    The 17 tooth front is the way to go. It keeps the diameter of the rear down and gives the chain an easy path around the front.

Comment

You rock! Thanks!!
                      I'm going to buy this one today once the boss signs off on the purchase.

Comment

Just do a search for Suzuki 530 chain and sprockets. You will need a longer chain and there are charts that will tell you how much longer. On a 750 a 520 conversion is entire possible. It's what I use and it's the best lasting combo I've ever run. Regina Gold o-ring with Vortex sprockets.
                        Just to be safe, are you sure the link you provided will work on my 81 GS750L?

Not saying anything against your knowledge, just double-checking.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                          Just to be safe, are you sure the link you provided will work on my 81 GS750L?

Not saying anything against your knowledge, just double-checking.

Thank you.
                          You can double check the specs on the two at JT sprockets website. Make sure the rear sprocket has the right number of mounting holes. Some of the rears have 5 holes and some have 6 mounting holes. The front will most certainly fit. Most of these sellers will fix you up with the combo you need if you contact them directly.

Comment

A set for this model bike will work for you. http://www.jtsprockets.com/52.0.html...sel_uid=1682&p= You would just have to find a conversion chart so you know how many links to get and work out the gear ratio you want.

Comment

You can double check the specs on the two at JT sprockets website. Make sure the rear sprocket has the right number of mounting holes. Some of the rears have 5 holes and some have 6 mounting holes. The front will most certainly fit. Most of these sellers will fix you up with the combo you need if you contact them directly.
                              Supplied specs to seller at Paypal checkout. He will contact me if anything is amiss.
                              Barring any complications I'll be taking a trip to the bike-junkyard.

Comment

Working...
                              X