"sticky" clutch/white smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"sticky" clutch/white smoke

I have a 1979 GS550. It has 20K, 10 under my watch. I've done the carbs and some basic maintenance, but to my knowledge it's never had a valve job, engine overhaul or work on gearbox. Having two separate problems:

1) I put a new clutch in it, and since then, it doesn't want to disengage the clutch fully when cold. I'll pull the clutch in all the way, but in first gear it will still want to roll forward and doesn't shift into neutral. I'm confident it's not a clutch cable adjustment issue, because I've checked that, and the weird part is that when it warms up for a little bit everything operates as normal.

I used an aftermarket clutch package. Is it possible the plates were too thick or thin?

2) Every once in awhile, I get a bit of white smoke. Seems to be burning a bit of oil. It actually leaks a small amount of oil out of a tiny hole in the exhaust just under the engine, and that's where most of the smoke seems to come from. But again, this is only sparadic, and usually only happens after I haven't riden it for awhile. Sticky valve(s)? Piston rings? Wouldn't think it would be sporadic issue with bad rings.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. New to the group. Love the site! Sorry for the multiple posts. Posted in wrong section first time. Thanks, -Bryan

For the sticky clutch, check your oil weight. Perhaps a lower grade will let it spin more happily. If you are using 20/40, try 10/40.

The white smoke sounds like leaky valve guide seals. They go hard with age and start to leak a little when the bike is sitting, especially if it sits on the side stand. If it only smokes on start-up it is a sign of these seals. If the bike has only 20,000 miles since new than my guess it has had a "sitting still for quite a while" phase under a previous owner, and it is the sitting still that makes the seals brittle. You need to remove the head to replace them, so a bit of white smoke on start-up is suddenly not so hard to take.

If it smokes all the time, you've probably got a valve guide or piston ring problem.

The oil leaking out of the exhaust sounds odd, but once again it makes a difference if it only does it on start-up. It might not be oil, but could be the normal moisture that results from burning hydrocarbons, and which evaporates as soon as the exhuaust pipes heat up.

Kim

Comment

White smoke on startup could be fuel also. My 79 550 smokes white when cold and smells like gas. I'm still trying to figure that one out. I've had the valves adjusted, carbs rebuilt and sync'd and it still happens. I try not to think about it much cause the bike runs good when warm.

david

Comment

Thanks, guys. The smoke very well could be fuel related. I don't have a sense of smell, so I can't tell for sure if it's gas causing the smoke. However, the stuff I see dripping (a drop or two out of the small rust hole at the bottom of my pipes where the two pipes from the headers join into the muffler pipe) has viscous qualities and seems like oil.

Appreciate the pointers.

Comment

Working...
        X