GS650G idling at 2000rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650G idling at 2000rpm

My 650 started out today idling at around 1250. After running for a little while it went up to 1500. After a short 5-minute ride it idled at a little over 2000. I'm sure that this is too high but I'm not sure why it doing that and how to turn it down.

Any help you can give would be great.

High idle

I have a 1979 GS1000EN and I'm not familiar with your bikes carbs or ignition,but my bike had a high idle twice in the past. The first time was caused by a loose 'advancer ring?' on a Martek ignition I no longer have. This is the magnetic ring that rotates between the sensors. Some people still have these units. The second time was caused by a cracked o-ring in one of the rubber intake manifolds. Generally,a high idle is caused by too much air in mixture,but it could also be mechanical, especially if you have older slide carbs like mine. I used 'contact cleaner' spray when checking for manifold leaks. If you see spray being drawn into rubber,(not just evaporating) then you have a leak, also,spray where manifold meets engine, if it gets sucked in it's probably o-ring or if your lucky you can retorque bolts. It can be harder to see on the no.2 and 3 carbs. I'm sure others have ideas. Good luck! KK.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Well that sounds like how things usally work- though a bit exaggerated. Perhaps you just need to lower your idle- there should be a knob in the middle of the carbs- set it once it is already warm since the idle will be a little higher when hot. Don't have the specs for your bike but I'm pretty sure 1250 is a tad high, and especially when cold.
      Checking for vacuum leaks as mentioned in the previous post sounds like a good idea too.

good luck- al least it does idle!

Comment

The idle knob would not take itself out of adjustment that far.If you lower idle when engine is warmed up, then it won't idle at all when cold(except while choke is on.) This would just be trying to cover up problem. KK.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The idle knob does not take itself out of adjustment - people do! I often see idles turned up too high as people try to compensate for a poor running idle system. Perhaps a plugged jet has become unplugged and now the system is running closer to normal. Adjusting the idle is the first thing to do, but most likely it will not be the final solution.

Comment

I had a gs650 and it should be idling at 1250 when its warm not cold. Just turn down your idle. It's a knob in the center of your carbs. On the gs650 its a little hard to get at so I used the flat blade of a screw driver to turn the knob. It just needs to be turned down a bit that's all.

Comment

Check for vaccumm leaks at the intake boots, Check the choke linkage, make sure linkage is not sticking. check the throtle cables for freeplay.

Comment

Working...
              X