X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgk
    Mike,

Don’t freak out!

Your engine is fine, and you did not damage it at all.

You ran the engine for 50 miles with over three quarts in the crankcase and oil galleys etc.

Our GS engines have nearly the same oil capacity as most American V-8 engines. That is so they can run at 5000 RPM for hours on the highway on a hot day.

Next time you change the oil, don’t worry about measuring cc's, just pour in three full quarts, and then pour most of a fourth quart in, until you see the oil level rising in the sight glass.

When I change the oil on my GS 1000 bikes, they take almost four full quarts.

Always check oil level with the bike on the center stand. Hot oil will take a minute or less to drain down into the crankcase and rise to a level visible in the sight glass.

Relax. Ride. Smile.
    Okay, okay, okay. I'm breathing. I'm happy. I'm calm.

I'm gonna go have a beer or eight.

Thanks again guys,...don't know what I'd do without the GSR.

Comment

If I run 20W-50 in my '80 GS850G it takes like three HOURS in the morning after a run to seatle down!!

Comment

I got some more oil and topped her up. It took about 3.6L with the filter change. I filled the filter before I installed it, is that a good practice?

It takes about 2 minutes for my 10/40 to read full after a run.

Comment

to chime in with a dumb question...

The 3/4 level in the window is where I want the oil level, correct?

Comment

?

I like it about there. Then if some goes, it will not be too low before I realize it.

Comment

My problem is that it's so touchy as to how level the ground she's sitting on is. In three places I tried her, the oil level showed as either completely empty, completely full, or half full. I need a level to test my ground!

Comment

?

Typically level ground and put it on the main stand (not the kick stand). This levels the bike out enough as ling as you are on pretty level ground. It is not crucial to be perfect here. That again is why I go to 3/4. If you fill it and are over, seals can start to leak due to a unknowingly too high level.

Comment

Originally posted by semerm
                  Typically level ground and put it on the main stand (not the kick stand). This levels the bike out enough as ling as you are on pretty level ground. It is not crucial to be perfect here. That again is why I go to 3/4. If you fill it and are over, seals can start to leak due to a unknowingly too high level.
                  There's no level ground where I live. Too many hills. Too many frost heaves.

Comment

?

Can you put it on a garage floor or sidewalk, even a parking lot?

Comment

Originally posted by semerm
                      Can you put it on a garage floor or sidewalk, even a parking lot?
                      Those were the three places I was talking about!

The garage floor is over 100 years old, and all over the place. And the parking lots and sidewalks around here are all plagued by frostheaves and on hills. I just keep trying and taking an average of all of them, also knowing that I haven't put in more than the 3800ml recommended.

Ah, the rolling doldrums of the rural hinterlands.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike
                        I'm running Shell Rotella T 15w-40 and it's about 62 degrees F out.

Seems to be taking forever.
                        with the oil hot about 15 mins will do
                        should be settled by now, add as necessary
                        and if you over fill it, its got a drain plug.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco
                          with the oil hot about 15 mins will do
                          should be settled by now, add as necessary
                          and if you over fill it, its got a drain plug.
                          Oh yeah, it's all back now. Had another bout of stupidity thinking that the 3200ml stamped on the engine actually MEANT "3200ml" instead of "3200ml if just oil, if changing oil AND filter, toss in 3800ml, Jack!"

Comment

the pier's level...right? :-D

Comment

Originally posted by graymulligan
                              the pier's level...right? :-D
                              Hopefully.

Now that's smart thinkin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X