Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting Problem--GS850--

Hi all,

I'm attempting to start my 1980 GS850L model after not running it since my accident in august of last year.

Over the winter , i did replace the clutch, and the stator cover, changed the plugs, cleaned the filter, drained the float bowls. Also charged battery, and put in new plugs.

I've tried starting it with a little spray of gas in the carbs beforehand, and it goes for a second, then dies.

There is only fuel going to carb #2 for some reason. The petcock on the gastank seems to work fine, and i took the float bowls off of teh carbs, and all of the passages are still good (cleaned everything last year) and the float-needle assemblies aren't stuck. all the vent hoses are clear, and I cant think of what else it could be. It tries to start over fine, but theres just no fuel going to the carbs.

any ideas?

POOT

If their is no gas in the float bowls Something is pluged in the fuel system
    Do you get gas when on prime

Comment

I get gas to the 2nd carb only it seems.(this is the carb where the fuel hose hooks up to)

Initially when I tried starting the bike, no fuel would come on prime...
      I had my tank off ,and lightly sucked on the large fuel tube, and fuel poured out, as well as when i blew into the vacuum line. After , i tried starting again and fuel just goes tot he 2nd carb.....

I remember having this problem last year after i took my carbs apart, but i fixed it when i realised the float-needle valve was stuck on the other carbs. I checked this time around, and all parts move freely, and i can blow through all jets and hoses and holes.

I dont think it would be the tangs on the floats, because it was working up until my accident.

Last edited by Guest; 05-13-2006, 11:58 AM.

Comment

DO you have any kind of fuel filter ??? REMOVE IT if you do. Disconnect the fuel line & turn the petcock on prime --fuel should pour out. It sounds like a petcock problem. Make sure the carb vent hoses are hooked up correctly & not blocked/ kinked

Comment

The vent hoses seemed to be fine. no kinks, and i c ould blow through them easily. I also dont think its a carb problem.

they were rebuilt /cleaned last year, and were working fine until the accident, so there shouldn't be anything clogged.

I do have a fuel filter on there, so i'll give it a try. i hope thats it, since it would be an easy fix rather than takin the carbs apart...

fingers crossed...

Comment

If you have gas entering #2 bowl, the fuel filter isn't a problem. I recommend removing it though.
            So you take off all four bowl drain bolts and fuel only comes out #2? I assume the fuel line and vacuum lines are connected correctly? Different size hoses would be hard to mix up.
            This would mean there's a blockage somewhere in the passages to the float valve needles.
            I know the '80 petcock is a pain and requires cranking to initiate flow..even in the prime position. But you're still getting fuel to one bowl, so that says the petcock is releasing fuel.
            I think a good carb spray followed by a good 150 psi blast through the main passage/connector tubes will help. Rinse any rubber parts off asap with gas.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Yeah, the petcock is designed to give fuel when cranked. and yes, the lines are connected properly. I dont think the fuel filter is much of a problem, but well see. I checked out pingel's stuff, and for 160 bucks i could get a replacement......:shock: AT that point, bike-bandit offers 65 bucks.....

I did blow through the fuel lines, and when I lifted the floats up, the air would come through the 4 needle aSsemblies, so im not sure where a blockage would be, but I guess I'll take a better look today. I think the problem is within this ballpark though, b/c it seems to fit.

Could they be blocked even if i just cleaned them last year? (didnt do much riding either last season).?

Thanks a lot for the info.

Comment

I don't see why fuel isn't entering three of the bowls if you feel air coming through the float valve passages and cleaned them all.
                You could have partial blockages that would allow LESS air during your test, but SOME fuel should still enter the "partially" blocked passages.
                Doesn't make sense to me.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Just re-read your last post. I thought you had just cleaned them.
                  Yes, one year is enough time for a blockage to happen. Especially if you didn't ride much.

Comment

80 Petcock

When my bowls are empty I have to suck on the vacuum line for a minute or two to fill the bowls up before starting. I also have an 80 petcock.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Okay, so Theres 2 parts to this: #2 carbs, the little metal piece in the centre of the float needle was stuck (not the brass piece) . So, now that was cutting off the fuel.

I then had no gas coming out of petcock when cranking, but will try your suggestion chef, as petcocks are expensive.

POOT

Comment

Working...
                      X