• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard shifting into first from second

Bike: 1982 GS750E
    Miles: 27,000
    Symptom: Hard shifting from 2nd into 1st

Last night I had my bike out for a ride after getting the carbs tuned and new tires put on, and noted several times that I had issues shifting from second to first as I stopped at the traffic lights. I haven't checked my oil levels yet (was too dark when I got home). It always shifts with a bump from neutral into first when I first start the bike up, but then shifts smooth once warm. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should check to find out why I'm having this hard shifting from 2nd to 1st? All other shifts are smooth every time without fail.

- Tim

Clutch ADJ

check your clutch adjustmant.... should be smoother for the n to !st shift..

and also may need to replace the clutch pack to correct.. (last resort).

Joe

Comment

Normal?

I think what you're describing may be normal. I've noticed exactly the same thing and think it has something to do with the way the gearbox was designed. I had exactly the same issue with an FXRS that I had and a top notch factory trained mechanic told me it was to be expected.:?

Now, of course, if it's noticably different than in the past, maybe there's something else going on. Hopefully, more people will comment on their own experiences.
      Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-25-2006, 10:53 AM.
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

For what it is worth, I have owned 4 Gs 1100's and they everyone were hard to shift into first from any gear.:?

Comment

My 550L is the same. The shift from 1 to 2 is sometimes tough, too, but gets better when it warms up.

Comment

Welcome to constant mesh gearboxes.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelHoward
              For what it is worth, I have owned 4 Gs 1100's and they everyone were hard to shift into first from any gear.:?
              How many different gears were you shifting into first from?

Comment

if you can move to bike backwards or forward and it slips into 1st then welcome to my gs, i just shift it from 2nd to 1st just before i stop then no problems.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                X