No announcement yet.

Suspension setup for your weight/riding style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I finally got the progresive springs installed in the front. I used 20 weight Belray fork oil and a few drops of ATP AT205 rubber conditioner(NOT SNAKE OIL, great stuff) and no spacers. (I'm about 200lbs)

Way less dive, better tracking in the corners and a plush ride to boot. Worth every penny...I'm happy! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
      Well, I finally got the progresive springs installed in the front. I used 20 weight Belray fork oil and a few drops of ATP AT205 rubber conditioner(NOT SNAKE OIL, great stuff) and no spacers. (I'm about 200lbs)

Way less dive, better tracking in the corners and a plush ride to boot. Worth every penny...I'm happy! :-D
      What did they run you Jeff?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
        What did they run you Jeff?
        $65.30 from Bike Bandit.

Comment

Try reading through this....some good info here:

It won't let me direct link, so use the link below, click on "Seven - Eleven" link on the upper left side, then click the "Suspension For Dummies" graphic.

http://www.oldskoolsuzuki.info/index...ary.shtml~main
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

One thing to note when you change the ride height you change the center of gravity height and the rake of the front forks, the angle change of the forks will slow or quicken the front steering not much change but still noticeable. front and rear spring rates need to be balanced for the riders weight (front to rear weight ratio) and then fine tuned with shock valve compression or rebound settings and or fluid weight.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I ordered my Ikons in January, have about 2000 miles or so on the now. They are such a remarkable improvement it is unreal.

I am 6'0" and about 300 - I contacted the manufacturer in Australia when I ordered and gave them info about Me, GF, driving style, etc, and they picked a spring rate for me.

When I drive alone I leave it on the lowest setting - never bottoms out, rides nice and smooth. The originals would bottom out with just me on it and no gear. If I forget to set it up a notch and the GF gets on it will occasionally bottom out on the lowest setting.

With just the GF on the back I initially tried it on the 3rd (highest) preload setting, but the ride was a bit jarring, so I settled in on the 2nd setting and it is perfect, no bottoming out at all. With her and luggage I will likely go with the top setting.

I have not been driving aggressively enough to really test out the dampening settings, I have it set on 2 (1 to 4 are the possibilities, 1 the lowest) and everything seems fine, but I will need some aggressive roads to put it to the test.

Next step is the fork springs!

Comment

Originally posted by KGB
                Anyway, out bikes need more weight on the front end.
                This describes Marks's feeling of the front end sliding. More weight bias will typically stop this feeling. This can be done a few ways.

One, lean forward during turns, get your weight forward.
                Second, raise the rear end, think teeter totter, or a fulcrum.
                More ride height in the rear will put more weight on the front, giving it a planted feel. This can be done by simply installing longer rear shocks.
                Third, raise the fork tubes in the triple clamps. By lowering the front you have raised the rear. The problem with this is ground clearance, you've lost some by lowering the front.
                One good way to move weigh bias forward is to install a frame mounted fairing. My 850 has a better feel for the curves with its Winjammer than it does without.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Bump.

Anyone else have any tidbits of wisdom to share?

Comment

Just that Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse has the fork springs for $50 (Buy it Now) on eBay.

Comment

Very interesting thread Mark. Comes back at a good time. There are several threads running right now with suspension issues, including my own. Perhaps that's why you bumped this one? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X