My Suzi won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Suzi won't start

First let me say that this is an awesome site I have been checking it out for the past few years and am amazed at the information that can be found here.

Now for my issue. I have an 81 GS 750L with 35000 miles on it which I’ve had for four years now that was leaking oil through the head gasket. I purchased some gaskets took the engine apart and replaced the 3 gaskets. I put the cam shafts back into the bike making sure that the cam chain was set properly on the shafts according to the instructions in my Clymer manual (not everyone’s favorite I know). At this point do anything to the carburetors because I had cleaned them about two years ago with the instructions from this site (which by the way worked excellent, very detailed instructions!) and they were working fine before the engine was taken apart.

After getting it all back together I put new spark plugs in and threw the battery in attached the airbox and cranked it over… that’s all it would do is just turn over but never starts or gives any indication that it wanted to start. I pulled all four plugs (one at a time) and checked for spark which they all had. I sprayed a little starting fluid into the air cleaner but the starting fluid had no effect on it whatsoever. The boots on the air cleaner were connected nice and snug to the carburetors. I drained the gas from the carburetors then with the petcock on prime and I could see the gas flow through the inline gas filter until apparently the bowls had gas in them and then stopped flowing.

I then removed and cleaned the carbs because it seemed as though there was not any gas getting to the engine. Put the carbs back on the bike with the air screws out 2 turns and cranked it over with the same results, turns over fine but never starts (it does make a compression sound from the exhausts).

My petcock used to be permanently in the prime position (could never get it to move, was like that since I’ve had the bike) but since taking it out of the tank this time it now moves freely for some reason, so I performed the test that I found on this site. I pulled off the vacuum hose from the carburetor with the petcock in the run position and sucked on the end of it and gas would flow out of the outlet tube attached to the tank, the vacuum hose would suction onto my tongue when releasing the suction and the gas would stop flowing. With the petcock in the prime position for too long of a time there will be some gas overflow from the carburetors (normal?). I have checked all fuses and every electrical connection I could find. I have searched through the technical section until my eyes are crossed.Hopefully someone will have an idea of how to get her going any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

almost anyone here is more adept at answering you, but i would say if this was a car it would be out of time,the timing is off.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Sounds like timing is off to me too...
      2010 Honda VFR1200F
      1983 Suzuki GS750T (sold)
      Being Revisited
      1981 Honda CM400T
      http://www.bikepics.com/members/cloudbreakmd/

Comment

how is the compression? did you disconnect the wires to the coils?
        Last edited by rustybronco; 06-07-2006, 01:54 PM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I agree that timing may be the issue, also gas running out of the overflows is not normal. Sticky float valves likely, once you get it going run some carb cleaner through her. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

I had a similar expereince last year. WAzz counseled me that I may have my timing 180 degrees off. He can speak to this better than me. But I addressed the issue and all has been good since

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!

Ok, it seems like everyone seems to think it is a timing issue.
              My clymer manual says that the timing can't be adjusted which I find hard to believe especially after the replies I've received. Does anyone know how I should do this or should I consult another book like Chiltons or something?
              As far as compression I haven't really tested it with a tester, I did pull a spark plug and held my thumb over the hole while my son cranked it, my thumb was blown off the hole so there is compression, is it enough? I'll have to get a tester.
              The wires to the coils don't look like they can be removed, looks to be one whole unit. Running carb cleaner sounds like a good idea, I will try it once she fires up.

Comment

They are talking about valve timing, and the thing that is not adjustable is spark timing. If the camshafts are not in the right position or if the chain has jumped, the cams won't have the valves opening and closing at the right time. Thus, you may have compression, but at the wrong time. You may have the plugs sparking but not at the right time. Cars are very similar and if the timing is off, it will not fire.

Dan

Comment

Oh I see now! Thanks for clarifying that for me Dan. I was a little confused for a minute there. I will have to check out the valve timing then, just so that i'm clear on this. adjusting the valve timing is when you make sure that the numbers on the cam shafts are in the proper position, there are x amount of timing chain links between them and the timing mark on the signal generator is aligned properly. correct?

Comment

Did you put the plug wires back on the correct cylinders? Obvious I know, but it would explain every symptom.

Comment

The plug wires are marked and are in the correct order. I will double check them when I get home though.

Comment

Sounds like you didn't disconnect any thing at the coils ( not the coil wires to plugs) ck compression, ck firing order.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Good luck getting her going. When you do, change the oil because depending on how much cranking you've done, the oil will be contaminated with gas. Not a good thing.

Comment

I will try to check the timing hopefully tomorrow if it ever stops raining. If not then definately by the weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I appreciate all the help!

Comment

I am having the same issue. I bought a 1980 GS750L that had been outside for sometime. With help from the site I cleaned carbs,checked petcock, timing marks but with a lot of starting fluid (1/2 can) I get a backfire and thats it. Let me know what your issue was. Thanx, JT

Comment

Working...
                              X