Bike sputter problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike sputter problem?

Monday I took a nice 50 mile road trip with out one problem the bike ran great!! I got home put her away and yesterday I went to ride into town and for the first couple miles I had no problems at all then the bike sputtered. Almost like it was running out of gas. I stopped checked the gas it had enough but I filled the bike anyway. Then I headed on back home. I found out if I kept the bike at low rpm (below 5000 RPM) the bike ran fine. Yesterday evening I adjusted the idel and since it was too low and had been for some time. Anyway I took off slow and eased through the gears she ran fine and I put about 50-60 miles on the bike avg 50-60 mph with no problems. As I was comming back in to town at about 60mph it sputtered a couple times so I slowed down a bit and stopped at a light, again I took off slow and she ran ok. Anyone got an Idea of what went wrong? I mean I ran her 70-75mph for 3 hours 2 days ago and came up through the gears holding them out with no problem at all. I know my carb to intake boots are getting pretty bad could this be the cause or is it something deeper in the carbs? What should I be looking for.

My Respect
    Pan

Originally posted by PanheadJosh74
    Monday I took a nice 50 mile road trip with out one problem the bike ran great!! I got home put her away and yesterday I went to ride into town and for the first couple miles I had no problems at all then the bike sputtered. Almost like it was running out of gas. I stopped checked the gas it had enough but I filled the bike anyway. Then I headed on back home. I found out if I kept the bike at low rpm (below 5000 RPM) the bike ran fine. Yesterday evening I adjusted the idel and since it was too low and had been for some time. Anyway I took off slow and eased through the gears she ran fine and I put about 50-60 miles on the bike avg 50-60 mph with no problems. As I was comming back in to town at about 60mph it sputtered a couple times so I slowed down a bit and stopped at a light, again I took off slow and she ran ok. Anyone got an Idea of what went wrong? I mean I ran her 70-75mph for 3 hours 2 days ago and came up through the gears holding them out with no problem at all. I know my carb to intake boots are getting pretty bad could this be the cause or is it something deeper in the carbs? What should I be looking for.

My Respect
    Pan
    I take it this bike sat for awhile before you got it Josh. At least that's the impression I get. It could be something as simple as a clogged vent in the gas cap or carbs that are a little dirty. Since it's running fine down low it doesn't seem like it would be dirty carbs. A little Berryman's Chemtool in the tank for a couple of fill ups may clear up the problem.

Could be a coil going south too. If it's coils you can get a set off of late model Bandits, Kats, and all but the newer GSXR's. They are exactly the same as your stock coils and you can ususally get them for $30 or less per set on Ebay. You can bench test the coils to get a general idea of their condition. The primary side of the coil where the ignitor leads hook up should measure 3-5 ohms between the leads. The plug end should measure 30,000-50,000 ohms with one probe in each of the caps for 1 & 4 then 2 & 3 for the other coil.

Comment

Try the petcock on a different position (res- pri), also low battery voltage? i know a long shot but both happened to me.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Ill chech into that

You know as I go down the road the tac does seem to jump a bit. I just chalked it up to hitting bumps in the road. I never thought to check the coils! The first tank I ran through I put octane boost in. The guy I bought it from Said he always used it and recomended I did to. He also said it ran better on non ethanol gas? Anyway The bike sat outside all winter at his place in IL. I bought the bike in Feb and have not put more then about 250 maybe 300 miles on it since I have had it. I know the wires on the bike are pretty cracked near the 90 and I have tapped them to get by since They are glued into the coils. I will do a coil test for sure. Its raining today it might not be a bad day to do it should I pull the petcock and look at it too? Its never been out since Ive had the bike. I know the guy I got her from was not real big on maintance. Anyone got anything else to add? Anybody?

Pan

Comment

Rusty,

No the voltage is good I have a new reg.rect, stator and battery. Im charging right on the money according to the book. (about 14 at idel with the headlight on)

My Respect
          Pan

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to have a look at the petcock. It may give you a good idea of what the inside of the tank looks like. Try draining the bowls on the carbs too and see what comes out.

Comment

If you decide to change plug wires the old ones can be gotten out. It takes a little work to get the glue and crap out of the coils but it is doable. I know I have at least one good coil around here if you need it and maybe two. It's just stuff I have that I'll never use so if you need it it's yours.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                It's just stuff I have that I'll never use so if you need it it's yours.
                That's why I love this place. :-D Way to go, Billy!

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
                  That's why I love this place. :-D Way to go, Billy!
                  Wouldn't be the first time. I've done it before for people here. A couple of years ago I was going to give a guy that wrecked his bike my stock exhaust and some other stuff but I think he lost interest in rebuilding the bike.

Comment

Could it of been so simple?? Or should I dig further..

Well I tore the tank of, started the bike (it amazes me how long these bikes run with out the fuel tank HAHA) Anyway I started pulling wires while the bike ran. Turned out there was no spark to the two outter banks. on each side, That confused me? So I checked the wires to the coils they were pretty darn loose . So i took a pair of plyers and criped them a bit put them back on. started the bike it sounded a bit better so I put the tank back on loosely and pulled each wire off one by one and did the old spark with a screwdriver test against the head. I have nice poweful zapping power in all 4 plugs now. I took the bike for a short ride. (its raining good out here) and the bike seems to be curred. I got on it hard (as i could anyway in the rain) and it never skipped a beat. Could it of been this simple? Before I tightened the wires i couldnt get hardly any spark out of any of the wires. Sould I cut these ends off and put new ones on? Shrink wrape em over the ends so they dont cross ark etc? What would you suggest. Billy thanx for the coil offer! I was just ready to take you up on it but I may not need it what do you all think.

My Respect
                    Pan

Comment

oh and another thing

The fuel in the inline filter i put in looks great no rust or anything from what I can see.

Pan

Comment

Josh,
                        It could have easily been the loose connections. It wouldn't hurt to redo the terminals but you probably fixed it with what you already did. If you decide you want the coils just PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by PanheadJosh74
                          The fuel in the inline filter i put in looks great no rust or anything from what I can see.

Pan
                          I don't think you're having carb problems. They usually show up mostly down low in the rpm range where the smaller passages in the carbs effect idle and off idle rpm.

Comment

Thanks so much everyone

Billy & Crew,

Thank you all for taking a little time out of you day to help me. I am finally starting to enjoy this bike. After so many set backs, New reg/rect, new battery, new stator, new starter clutch kit, new gear bearings, shocks gee the list seems like it never ends. I told myself when I got this bike I would not dump a bunch of money in it. However it is such a joy to ride. Even when it was acting up yesterday I just babied it a bit and it ran ok. Im not one to go real fast anyway. I do climb through the gears failry fast but I rarley take the bike over 70mph. 65 is a good cruising speed for me. After all Im out to see mother nature not pass it on by. Thank you all again. I will let you know how it goes when and if the rain stops. I will keep them coils in mind Billy

My Respect to you all
                            Panhead Josh

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                              If you decide to change plug wires the old ones can be gotten out. It takes a little work to get the glue and crap out of the coils but it is doable. I know I have at least one good coil around here if you need it and maybe two. It's just stuff I have that I'll never use so if you need it it's yours.
                              Billy,

Are these screw-in terminals sealed up on the coils? I have a 1980 750E that may need new wires. I've been putting this off thinking it was going to be coil replacement time.

ghwrenchit

Comment

Working...
                              X