Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious Front brake issue help!

bike-1980 GS850G
    Here's the story. I took the front wheel off the bike to be changed. I dropped the wheel and tire off at a local dealer. While the tire was at the dealer, I changed the fork oil. When I got the wheel back I proceeded to take off the brake disks and went about attempting to change the bearings.I could not do it so I put the wheel back together and on the bike. Now that it is all back together when I torque the front axle nut to spec, the wheel will not rotate! It is frozen in place, so I loosened the axle nut until I could freely turn the wheel. I heard a little scraping noise but figured that to be normal front brake drag. I took the bike for a short drive, less than 2 miles and when I returned I re-examined the front wheel and the disk on the right side is super shiny. So I proceed to take the wheel back off and I look at the right side caliper and it has had a good amount of METAL removed form the caliper itself. So I figure it must be misaligned from jockying around with the bearings. I order new bearings from All Balls Racing, have them overnighted and with much information I received here, replaced the bearings.
    Now, new bearings seated perfectly, new tire, new brake pads.
    Same problem. The left side disk(speedometer side) is perfectly aligned between the brake pads, the right side is angled so it touches the caliper housing. Axle holder nuts and axle are torqued to spec. I am losing my mind, There isn't a whole lot left to replace at this point. How can one disk be misaligned and the other perfectly centered and staright?
    Please Help!

1. You warped a disc while doing other stuff on the wheel
    2. It's not sitting flush on it's mounting surface or is backwards.

Comment

Or missing spacer from the right side? Seems there should be two spacers on the right side, have you both of then in correct order?

Comment

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...me~GS850GT.asp

Check out this schematic and make sure you put your wheel on right. You shouldn't ride it with the axle nut loose! Very dangerous. Perhaps when you torqued it down the first time you pinched the forks together and that's what caused the rubbing or scraping.

Comment

When you changed the fork oil, did you remove the forks? If so, are they positioned at the same height? In this case, the calipers would be parallel, but the axle would not be.

Just a thought...

J
          Last edited by jonr; 06-15-2006, 12:01 PM.
          16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
          13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
          78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
          Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
          02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
          12 Aprilia Shiver 750
          82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Originally posted by jonr
            When you changed the fork oil, did you remove the forks? If so, are they positioned at the same height. In this case, the calipers would be parallel, but the axle would not be.

Just a thought...

J
            Good point, make sure the tubes are the same height in the triples. When you tighten up all the pinch bolts etc. start at the axle and work your way up.

Comment

Originally posted by lhead71
              bike-1980 GS850G
              Here's the story. I took the front wheel off the bike to be changed. I dropped the wheel and tire off at a local dealer. While the tire was at the dealer, I changed the fork oil. When I got the wheel back I proceeded to take off the brake disks and went about attempting to change the bearings.I could not do it so I put the wheel back together and on the bike. Now that it is all back together when I torque the front axle nut to spec, the wheel will not rotate! It is frozen in place, so I loosened the axle nut until I could freely turn the wheel. I heard a little scraping noise but figured that to be normal front brake drag. I took the bike for a short drive, less than 2 miles and when I returned I re-examined the front wheel and the disk on the right side is super shiny. So I proceed to take the wheel back off and I look at the right side caliper and it has had a good amount of METAL removed form the caliper itself. So I figure it must be misaligned from jockying around with the bearings. I order new bearings from All Balls Racing, have them overnighted and with much information I received here, replaced the bearings.
              Now, new bearings seated perfectly, new tire, new brake pads.
              Same problem. The left side disk(speedometer side) is perfectly aligned between the brake pads, the right side is angled so it touches the caliper housing. Axle holder nuts and axle are torqued to spec. I am losing my mind, There isn't a whole lot left to replace at this point. How can one disk be misaligned and the other perfectly centered and staright?
              Please Help!
              What side caliper is rubbing the rotor (inside or outside)? Is the caliper body, or the caliper mount bracket rubbing the rotor?

Comment

bike-1980 GS850G
                Here's the story. I took the front wheel off the bike to be changed. I dropped the wheel and tire off at a local dealer. While the tire was at the dealer, I changed the fork oil. When I got the wheel back I proceeded to take off the brake disks and went about attempting to change the bearings... There isn't a whole lot left to replace at this point. How can one disk be misaligned and the other perfectly centered and staright?
                Please Help!
                I don't know if its the same but on the rh side only on my 82 850g there is a spacer between the wheel and the rotor.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

OK Here goes:

robinjo[It's not sitting flush on it's mounting surface or is backwards]
                  I have taken it apart and the disc is seated flush on the wheel, I checked the caliper mount and it is flush on the fork as well.
                  What do you mean backwards?

It is possible the disc is warped, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how it happened. The bike was fine before the tire change. Maybe it happened in the shop, I don't know. Would it be alright if I take off the right side disc and put the left disc on the right side and see what it looks like?

Tervo [Or missing spacer from the right side? Seems there should be two spacers on the right side, have you both of then in correct order?]
                  Yes, both spacers are there and in the correct order according to the schematic.

mark [Check out this schematic and make sure you put your wheel on right. You shouldn't ride it with the axle nut loose! Very dangerous. Perhaps when you torqued it down the first time you pinched the forks together and that's what caused the rubbing or scraping.]
                  I looked at the schematic, it is the same in the Clymer I have and everything is there in that order, I looked and took it apart several times.
                  What do you mean pinched forks together?

jonr [When you changed the fork oil, did you remove the forks?]
                  I did not take the forks off the bike when I changed the oil.

Billy Ricks [Good point, make sure the tubes are the same height in the triples. When you tighten up all the pinch bolts etc. start at the axle and work your way up.]
                  Is it possible that the tubes are not the same height even tough I didn't take them off the bike?

Road_Clam [What side caliper is rubbing the rotor (inside or outside)? Is the caliper body, or the caliper mount bracket rubbing the rotor?]
                  It is the outside, next to the pad with the piston. Yes, the caliper body is scraping, almost like the piston is not extending, except when I take the rotor out and compress the brakes, the pad works fine.

rustybronco [I don't know if its the same but on the rh side only on my 82 850g there is a spacer between the wheel and the rotor]
                  Yes, it's the same with the spacer, It is there.

Comment

OK Here goes:

It is possible the disc is warped, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how it happened. The bike was fine before the tire change. Maybe it happened in the shop, I don't know. Would it be alright if I take off the right side disc and put the left disc on the right side and see what it looks like?
                    If it is warped watch the clearance between the caliper and the rotor and as you turn the wheel see if the distance changes.
                    if they use a tire machine that clamps on the rotor to change the tire they may have bent it

Comment

mark [Check out this schematic and make sure you put your wheel on right. You shouldn't ride it with the axle nut loose! Very dangerous. Perhaps when you torqued it down the first time you pinched the forks together and that's what caused the rubbing or scraping.]
                      I looked at the schematic, it is the same in the Clymer I have and everything is there in that order, I looked and took it apart several times.
                      What do you mean pinched forks together?
                      If you put the axle on and torque it down and the tire doesn't rotate, something isn't put together right. I was thinking that perhaps it was put together in such a way that when you torqued the bolt the fork was drawn together or "pinched" a bit. That would explain the scraping on the rotors. I recall having done something similar on my old Honda 750 once.

Comment

Got a digital camera?

Comment

I took some pictures, when I get home I will post them so everyone can see the issue.

Comment

Working...
                          X