Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-Urgent- Cam Dowel missing

Hi there,

It seems as if im missing one of the tiny metal dowels that are for the camshaft covers. is it completely necessary to get it? Are there any substitutions i could use?

i guess its a pretty important place, but i really need to get this thing back together....

POOT

a bolt or screw the correct diameter cut to length with a hack saw, bevel the ends and tap it in. a drill motor makes for a good lathe using a file in a pinch.
    how about a drill bit annealed and cut to fit?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

it is a hollow dowel, with a bolt the goes inside.

Comment

They are used to align the gasket and cover. In a pinch, you can do without them. If your bike has the tach drive on the cover, then there may be some lateral forces involved, but I wouldn't think they would be too great.

The question I have is "what happened to it?" If it was there when you took the cover off, and it isn't there now, I'd be worried. If not forgettaboutit. Put it together, ride, and order one.

Comment

Im pretty sure it was not there when i took it off, but i could have lost it before...

These are not for the gasket alignment, but there are 2 for each camshaft cover (4 of them), so im just missing the one....

thanks

poot

Comment

Are you talking the upper half of the cam bearing or the valve cover? I can probably send you one either way.

Comment

No, not the valve cover.

It is #6 on this diagram:

If its necessary, and you have one, i will pay to have it shipped priority express, via ups, fedex, or whatever....

POOT

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                Are you talking the upper half of the cam bearing or the valve cover? I can probably send you one either way.
                I thought he was talking about the valve cover. His last post leads me to believe hes talking about the camshaft bearing top half. If that is the case -yes, it isn't for gasket alignment AS THERE IS NO GASKET! lol

So, if that's the case, DON'T RUN IT WITHOUT THE ALIGNMENT DOWEL.

You lost it. It was on there when you took it apart. Find it.

Ok, just saw the diagram. Yep, don't run it without that part, or you'll be very, very sorry.

Order one if you want, but I'd do my best to find the old one. It probably dropped out when you pulled the top shell off. It's in the engine somewhere - my guess anyway.
                Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2006, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Time to get a magnet on a flexible shaft and check the cam chain tunnel. Check the puddles of oil in the head.

Comment

*edit*

i couldn't find it..... not in bike (had towel stuffed down camchain tunnel)

I have the head off of the bike. (changing base gasket)

Is there a way i could cut a length of pipe, or maybe not since different metals expand at different rates...

If you have that part billy i'll take it. PM me. thanks....

pooot
                    Last edited by Guest; 06-18-2006, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X