GS850g rear wheel bearing housing too loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850g rear wheel bearing housing too loose

I was suffering too big play between rear axle and bearings on my '79 850g. I bought a new set of bearings and while changing I realized that left hand side was in perfect condition, but the right hand side bearing housing feels too loose (bearing was quite ok). The old bearing's outer ring had spinned around inside housing.

What should I do about it? Could I try to knock some little grooves in housing to make it more friction to keep bearing away from spinning? How to make sure it is perfectly centered?

With the new bearings the play feels smaller, but I am afraid by the time housing will worn even bigger...??

Has anyone experienced the same before?

Bearing replacement

If you try to pean the inner surface it might not work. Then youll be in trouble. Take it to a GOOD garage and get an Exact measurement in decimal form. Find the size of the axle shaft and the size of the "new" hole. Once you have that you can call an bearing retailler with the two sizes. They should be able to get you one. Motorcycle bearings are special sized to them and can't ordinarily get bearings through retaillers. but with luck the spun bearing made the hole big enough that a standard size bearing might fit. Or a speed sleave might work. It's a metal sleave that fits where there was wear to bring it back to proper size. Be sure to ask about a high RPM bearing for your bike.

Comment

it happened to me too... the motorcycle shop that was pressing the new ones in said they used locktight.... i haven't had any problems, and my hub was pretty bad
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Thanks for your replies. My right hand bearing is almost to remove by hands, but it might be that tight still to lock it with locktite or similar to avoid rolling.

I must take it under work next weekend.

Comment

Locktite stud and bearing mount (green) although i've never used it for that.
          you would have to keep the bearing centered until it hardens.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
          X