Tight tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tight tranny?

Anyone ever experience your transmission seemingly getting tight after or during a long ride? What I am talking about is that when riding long and hard and the engine is hot, you come up to a stop light and you can't seem to get the bike into neutral without a fight? Maybe it is from the excess pressure from a hard gear down stop? Any ideas or is this just common with these old bikes. Is the clutch shot? I ride a 1980 GS 550L. Thanks.

Originally posted by airportcop
    Anyone ever experience your transmission seemingly getting tight after or during a long ride? What I am talking about is that when riding long and hard and the engine is hot, you come up to a stop light and you can't seem to get the bike into neutral without a fight? Maybe it is from the excess pressure from a hard gear down stop? Any ideas or is this just common with these old bikes. Is the clutch shot? I ride a 1980 GS 550L. Thanks.
    Hey Kevin whats up,
    Dont know why it does this, but my 1985 GS 700ES does that exact thing. It seems to go away after the bike cools down; I guess thats whats important.
    lostit23

Comment

Originally posted by airportcop
      when riding long and hard and the engine is hot, you come up to a stop light and you can't seem to get the bike into neutral without a fight?
      It's normal. Don't worry.:-D
      I ride in city traffic every day and it gets pretty hot grunting along in first for miles at a time.
      What I found that works is to come to a stop in second, then go down into neutral. On my 550, trying to find it going up out of first is all but imposible when it's hot.
      Try it and tell me if it works on yours.

Comment

It is a "normal" thing on these bikes, it can improved by careful attetion to clutch adjustment and drive chain tension.
        Dink

Comment

Thanks for the advise. I appreciate it. I will try stopping in second and going to neutral from there. The clutch cable may need a little adjustment too.

Comment

i believe it can be corrected, this is just my un-qualified opinion
            is your idle correct?
            adjust clutch.
            Change oil (synthetic?) i'm trying 20w50 amsoil at this time, you would not believe the diference in shifting in just changing to a good oil. NO I'M NOT A DEALER! i have used 10w40 dino oil (yuck) drained it after 900 miles used 15w40 rotella started getting a funky shift klunk lurch after 2-2,500 miles. rotella synthetic has been suggested on this site.
            check clutches.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
            X