No indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No indicators

1979 GS850 - my daily 86 mile commute bike !

indicators are dead this morning. Nothing at all.

Given the winter conditions, I had time to check the fuse and strip the switchgear which all appears fine. I also then ascertained that when triggered they are switiching the relays in the indicator control box. Obviously the rest of that box is pretty well sealed.

Given the limited time I get before my little hands freeze then what is the most likely explaination ??

A flasher relay is 7 quid and I don't think that the control box is available any longer for the 79 model (and is likely hundreds of quid anyway). I have control boxes from later models in my parts boxes but the wiring is way different.

Would a bad relay fail the whole circuit ?

Why did this have to happen in winter <groan> and why don;t I live in a warm climate..........

Madoc

Madoc:

If you're getting nothing at all....not even a steady light. Clearly it is not a bulb...And you've traced the power to the control box, so it's not a handlebar switch or fuse problem. I'd check to make sure you have power coming out of the control box as required with a test light and if that's okay...I'd say it is the flasher relay on the left side of the battery box. If the power isn't leaving the box it could be the box, but I beleive it could also be the sensor in the speedo that is connected to the box. What about your IP indicators what are they doing?

Hope it isn't the control box...in Canadian dollars they are over $500new, and I paid $150 for a used one at a salvage yard.

Good luck.

Comment

If both sides quit at the same time it's a good chance it's the flasher,since it does'nt know left or right,it either works both or neither.I have gone through a couple of the turn signal control units, and both times only one side would quit and then eventually not work at all.They can be expensive,it seems to depend on if seller realizes what he's got.I found a used one for $10.00,while others want hundreds if new.I saw a new old stock one for $271.00 somewhere,sorry can't remember where.They do still sell at my dealer but they wanted $354.00.I have a '79 GS1000EN and I believe the part is the same.(p/n 38830-49001) a 6 pin connector and a 4 pin. Ebay has one now,the guy selling it thinks it's a 'CDI black box'.
      But based on my experiences,I think it's the flasher. Good luck, KK.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Where on EBAY is there an 850 unit ?
        I found a 550 unit which the seller thought was a CDI unit.

You are quite right about the wiring. 4 and 6 wires on the early models and the later ones are 4 and 2. I actually have a couple of the boxes from later models amongst my many boxes of parts.
        The Clymer manual has a very clear diagram of the wiring for this and I am now wondering whether it's worth wiring the bloody thing out and going direct the the flasher relay.

I will go check the power out from the box and also replace the flasher unit today and see what happens.

more later

Comment

circuit checked.
          new flasher unit in place and we have success.
          However a valuable lesson has been learned and I need to source a 'spare' unit as if ever something went wrong then I would indeed be stuffed.

So f0r anyone searching this site (on keywords) for solutions, like I did before I posted then here it is to save you time.

NO INDICATORS AT ALL = DUFF FLASHER UNIT.

CONSIDER OBTAINING A SPARE INDICATOR CONTROL BOX AS THEY COST THE EARTH

cheers for the help

Madoc

Comment

regular 2 prong auto flasher will work fine, #### turn signal control box can be eliminated with a little creativity. Converted mine to manual turn signals

Comment

All at once???

I've been gradually loosing indicators (Neutral was gone when I got it, then the high-beam went (followed by the high beam itself), then one of the turn signals), so I think I'm just blowing bulbs... But all at once???

Comment

Yes, all at once. If it is not a problem with the electrical system (bad regulater causing overvoltage), then it would be safe to assume that the bulbs are approaching there service life. they were probably made around the same time.

Comment

Working...
                X