Rear Shock Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Shock Question

The rear shocks on my 1980 1100 are sticking. As I sit on the bike they compress but they take a couple seconds to return to normal. I know that the best way to correct this is to replace them but I just do not have the cash. Dose anyone have a quick fix to the problem? Can the shocks be disassembled, cleaned and or lubbed to correct the problem?

The Beast

I know it's not what you want to hear, but you should replace them. CycleRecycle2 www.usedmotorcycleparts.com sells Emgo replacement shocks for our bikes for about $70 a set. Rob, the owner, said he has heard no negative feedback about the replacement shocks and springs, which he usually hears something about everything he sells. For the price, it's hard to beat.

Why risk riding with a suspension that doesn't work right?

~Adam

Comment

Originally posted by AOD
      I know it's not what you want to hear, but you should replace them. CycleRecycle2 www.usedmotorcycleparts.com sells Emgo replacement shocks for our bikes for about $70 a set. Rob, the owner, said he has heard no negative feedback about the replacement shocks and springs, which he usually hears something about everything he sells. For the price, it's hard to beat.

Why risk riding with a suspension that doesn't work right?

~Adam
      That's a good price and anything would beat worn out stockers.

Comment

Not a bad price at all (although they appear to be $90 on the website).

Comment

These long winded bastages don't seem to want to answer the question at hand! :-D

Q: Can you dis-assemble, rebuild or lube the shocks?
          A: No, you can not.

See previous responses for suggested plan of action.:-D
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

are one or both shock rods bent or is the housing damaged?
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I don't know if your shocks are the same as on a 78 1000, but my shocks have a return dampening adjustment.... 1 through 4, I think. 1 through 3 are different sized bleed holes, 4 is no bleed. You might try changing that adjustment if you have it. It could be on setting 4 or plugged up?
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

you put so much time in you engine get some good shocks that are rebuildable too

http://www.ikonsuspension.com/

see about getting streched to 13.5" too orver the 12.5 stock length. it will give you a little more corner clearance and sharpen the streering

-ryan
                78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                82 Kat 1000 Project
                05 CRF450x
                10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I dripped a little WD40 on both and it seamed to have take care of it. I am only trying to get her through inspection right now. Once she passes I will replace the shocks when I have the cash.

I was just thinking that if I replace the shocks then I have replaced almost everything on the bike except the engine case. If I ever sell her I going to list her as a new bike.

The Beast

Comment

Sounds to me like your shocks are binding. Check the washers on the mounting studs to see if you have too many or not enough on one side, which will cause this (I'll bet you can guess how I know!). The fact that the WD-40 helps suggests this, too. You might try rotating them or swapping sides, which may straighten them up.

Comment

Working...
                    X