What kinda oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kinda oil?

I have an old bike. I drained all the oil out as the crankcase was filled with gas (petcock mod gone wild). I just bought a new oil filter and now, I just need to know one thing. What kind of oil should I use? The bike is a little old and I just dont know the ideal weight. So just any Castrol syntec would work? I have new Ive heard synthetic is good for older bikes. How about that lucas oil treatment? Thanks for the help.

The details of my bike are at my sig below.

Suzuki typically recommended 10W-40 oil for the GS series bikes. I've been using Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic for 8-9,000 miles now, and I really like it. I buy it in gallon jugs at Wal*Mart.

Comment

oil

i use Motul 5100ester. Its a semi-synthetic oil (10W-40W) with a gearbox additive for better shifting

Comment

Good ol 10w40 will keep the transmission from shifting hard.Don't use any anti-friction additives at all. [-o< The clutch will slip and you'll have to take the clutch apart to clean the plates.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy
          i use Motul 5100ester. Its a semi-synthetic oil (10W-40W) with a gearbox additive for better shifting

where do ya get that m8... is it at Super Cheap ???

Comment

Your bike will do fine with any 10-40 oil, make sure it has no friction modifiers (the little round seal will say "energy conserving" on oils that have friction modifiers- very important not to use this).

More importantly is changing it at the suggested interval. I use 1 filter to every other oil change.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

All,

Thanks very much for the advice. Heck, if it were not for that I wouldve been punching holes in the walls right now. Well, not really. Thanks anyway.

Comment

James R

I use Suzuki 20w-50 in my 81 GS650E. I live in the US South an
                it gets hot here. No problems in the cooler seasons either.

James

Comment

I had great luck with Shell Rotella T. Regular, not synth. I think it was 15 40?

Anyway - being in Texas - you might also benefit from a higher weight oil?

Comment

well my opinion... i have used regular 10w40, shell 15w40 rotella t, and i am currently using amsoil 20w50 i would NEVER go back to regular 10w40!, 5w40 rotella synthetic is a good choice as are some 20w50 synthetic oils, with a full synthetic oil (amsoil motul redline) the shift is much smoother, the clutch operation is much better, i could find first or second at a full stop with ease, engine temp is lower, doesn't slip under full throttle, doesn't leak any more than it did before, can't ask for anything more than that!
                    as for me, make mine synthetic!!!!!!!!!!!!! i just wish they had it as accessible 25 years ago. down side is cost but what the hay it will be around for another 25 years

do NOT use lucas in a motorcycle its no more than an oil thickener.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                    X