Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sooty plugs

Hello everybody, please help me.

I have a 1983 GS1100GKD. It soots the plugs(black, dry) in less than 20 miles. Uses no oil. Heres whats been done to date,.... Brand new cylinder or jug, new rings, valve job, tried two sets of carbs that were torn down by action suzuki in dallas and both have stock jetting and are clean and passages are clear, rebuilt petcock, 4-1 header with large diameter "platinum"muffler, it's louder than stock but sounds good., dyna 2000 ignition with dyna coils and wires, B8ES plugs, new stator from dennis kirk and new RR, new battery. Ive ran it with open header and open airbox, with muffler and stock airbox, stock exhaust and stock airbox, uni foam filter, k &n filter, you name it Ive tried it. Leaned out jets. I has always sooted the plugs since I bought it off ebay and the guy said it ran fine, yes for 20 miles, then just put in clean plugs. Ive wire stock coils direct to battery as told here at gs resourses, I have 13.75 volts at the batt while idling, and strong blue spark. Tried B7es plugs and no change what so ever. Action Suzuki in dallas had it for 6 weeks and they couldn't fix it, and couldn't find anything wrong. At this point Im ready to call a witch doctor or just get a grenade and pull the pin and run. I cant be the only one who has had this problem. Please think hard and help me, I spent too much time and money and replaced too many parts to still have a problem, or so it seems. HELP!..... times 1000. JT Adams.

Is it fouling all 4 plugs or just #2? My 82 GK was fouling #2 quickly till I got rid of the vacuum petcock and got a Pingle but, there is another $100 that you, probably like myself don't need to spend. I also just got done with adjusting the valve shims. I haven't checked the plugs to see if the fouling is better but the smell of unburned gas is gone so I'm hopeful. You might want to look into that. Does it "ping" under acceleration? I'm assuming since Action Suzuki worked on it you live somewhere near Dallas. I'm no genius on these things but I'd be happy to come and see if I can help. PM me if you want to try to get together on it.

PS. Hang in there. These GSR guys can get you going.

Comment

whats ur jet size in there now. stock i belive is 100. I know when I do my shaftie gs 1100 I will have too jet up. As for stock air filter. I was told that I need high performance air filters from k and n or something similar. That a shaftie or chain drive? B7e6 would give you too hot a spark, the 8 would be give a colder one. Somehow somewhere your getting too much of a rich fuel mixture. Did you try too drop the needle down? Its a hassle on these bigger engine bikes I know. I dont know really .
      Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2006, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Actually, B7ES is the hotter plug :-D .

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...000&country=US

Comment

I have actually tried two different sets of carbs. Even tried to let needle down but was already there. Main jets are stock per manual, don't remember the size. Pilots are stock also. I already have fixed the petcock.

Isn't there a mikuni factory or a place that will remanufacture the carbs. I had there address once upon a time but Ive since lost it. They wanted 475.00 to reman all four carbs to like new condition internally and redo the exterior finish to look factory fresh. Dave, at Action Suzuki, tried for 6 weeks to either find something wrong or to fix the problem, no luck.

What about updating to newer carbs. Anyone know of newer carbs that are basically plug and play? JT

Comment

I'm just grasping at straws but I'm wondering if the needle and seat o-rings could be the culprit and you are just constantly pouring fuel in that the engine can't use. Replacing those is pretty simple, just requires removal of the carbs & then the float bowls.

Comment

Wow two sets of carbs and the same thing? don't discount both having bad needle and seat problems, rip them apart have a look see, when done check them on the bench with fuel in then.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
              X