Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock hard to turn

Hi All;

I have an 82 GS850G. I need to use a pair of pliers to turn the petcock form normal to reserver and back (it was this way when I bought the bike in late May).

I searched the forum for related posts and found that there are repair kits available. Do I need one, or is there something else I can do?

Any other adivce on what to look for or do?

TIA.

Charles...

I had the same problem on mine when i got it, you probably whould be better taking it apart and looking at it to see if it can be repaired, Thought i'd wait till winter if it works ok in both positions.

there will be other options such as a pingel if you choose...
    Last edited by rustybronco; 07-17-2006, 04:37 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

yeah there is repair kits available for the petrol tap\petcock

Comment

Originally posted by ccs
        Hi All;

I have an 82 GS850G. I need to use a pair of pliers to turn the petcock form normal to reserver and back (it was this way when I bought the bike in late May).

I searched the forum for related posts and found that there are repair kits available. Do I need one, or is there something else I can do?

Any other adivce on what to look for or do?

TIA.

Charles...
        Charles,

You should not need a rebuild kit unless it's leaking or not giving gas. Pull the retaining bracket off of the petcock (the U-shaped clip that surrounds the selector knob) and put a thin layer of oil on the o-ring that's on the knob's inner shaft. If that doesn't do it, you may need to disassemble the whole thing and clean it up well.

If you want a rebuild kit, go with one of these sellers on eBay.

Ebay ID georgefix.

Ebay ID siriusconinc

I've bought from both of these vendors and the service/shipping is great/fast.

If you don't use eBay, then goto your dealer or local MC shop and order the rebuild kit. It's made by K&L and the part number is 18-4344. Suzuki does not sell a factory rebuild kit, nor can you order the seals individually.

-Jon
        Last edited by jonr; 07-17-2006, 06:01 PM.
        16 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT with 175hp stock, no upgrades required...
        13 Yamaha WR450 with FMF pipe, Baja Designs street legal kit
        78 GS750E finely tuned with:

78 KZ1000 in pieces with:
        Rust, new ignition, burnt valves and CLEAN carbs!

History book:
        02 GSF1200S Bandit (it was awesome)
        12 Aprilia Shiver 750
        82 GS1100G

83 Kaw 440LTD

Comment

Personally, I'd just replace the whole petcock so I can forget about it for another 20 years... $45 - $65 and you're done.

It's a thought if you can't find the proper rebuild kit or you don't want to mess with it. There is no rebuild kit available for my '83 GS850 petcock, so I didn't have a choice.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have had a similar problem on a couple of Kawasakis, as well as my 650 and 850. I disassembled the petcock and burnished the part that turns with a ScotchBrite pad. It only takes a few turns to get all the crud off. You might wad up a small piece of the pad and take a couple of swipes through the body, then re-assemble. Use a touch of silicone grease on the o-ring, and it will feel brand new.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yep, I've had similar probs with fuel taps on my bikes over the years. I think it gets down to crud from the tank, eg. residues of rust sediment, ending up getting into the interface between the tap and the tap body.

As per Steve, cleaning the surfaces back has usually fixed things. Although the tap on my GSX1100SZ was so tired, that I did what bwringer says, and just replaced it. Cost me a bit of dosh but it's far better than having to pull over and dig out the pliers everytime you need to switch to reserve!

So give it a clean and see how you go.

Comment

Working...
              X