Battery sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery sensor

HI to all. New to this web site. I have a 1982 GS1100E, original candy red, original everything, even the tires. But it does have a V&H 4 into one pipe. Last year, while waiting at a red light, a Harley rider came up next to me and said what a sharp bike i had. He asked me if it was new. I said almost, it's an 82. Oh, it also has 4900 original miles. My brother bought in new and i got it from him just before he passed away from cancer. I love that bike and will keep it for as long as i can. I have two questions. I put a mainterance free battery in it and would like to know how to disable the original sensor light on the instrument panel, and where can i get a small fairing to fit with the large headlight? If you want, you can E-Mail me at hemispike@yahoo.com. Thanks again.

I simply took the instrument cluster apart and removed the bulb.

Done.

Comment

Originally posted by hemispike@yahoo.com
      I have a 1982 GS1100E, original candy red, original everything, even the tires.

Your not really riding on 24 year old tires. :shock:

Comment

Connect the Batt sensor wire to the + post on the battery.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Other views... http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...battery+sensor
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

wow wow wow wow............

Please don't tear apart the instrument cluster and remove the bulb...... I'm not 100% sure, but I think that bulb serves as a warning light for other things other than the battery right?

Here's a quick fix that Yamaha XJ owners perform all the time to take care of this......

Splice the + wire going to the tail light, that's the wire you want to use.

BTW.... I used a single 4.7K ohm resistor as he mentions at the bottom of the page, and it worked.

Comment

Nope, the battery sensor is only wired to the battery trouble light. If your blinkers fail, the signal gauges light up, if the headlight fails, the head indicater lights up, and oil pressure- well, if you see that light up, it's porbably already too late.
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

blue sensor wire to battery +

Comment

Originally posted by hemispike@yahoo.com
                  HI to all. New to this web site. I have a 1982 GS1100E, original candy red, original everything, even the tires. But it does have a V&H 4 into one pipe. Last year, while waiting at a red light, a Harley rider came up next to me and said what a sharp bike i had. He asked me if it was new. I said almost, it's an 82. Oh, it also has 4900 original miles. My brother bought in new and i got it from him just before he passed away from cancer. I love that bike and will keep it for as long as i can. I have two questions. I put a mainterance free battery in it and would like to know how to disable the original sensor light on the instrument panel, and where can i get a small fairing to fit with the large headlight? If you want, you can E-Mail me at hemispike@yahoo.com. Thanks again.

That indicator is a "low fluid level" warning sensor. The wire feeding the battery senses acid (which is negitive power). When the acid level drops below the sensor tip, the lead looses it's negitive ground. If you want to bypass the sensor, cut the plastic sensor tip off, and connect the wire to any chassis ground. Do NOT connect the sensor lead to 12V positive power source!!

Comment

Working...
                  X