Bringing my bike to the shop question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bringing my bike to the shop question.

I'm still pretty much a newbie at this. Do motorcycle shops have the ability to troubleshoot carb problems (leaking gas from one of the carbs) with just bringing in the carbs and gas tank? There is no way I can bring in the whole non-running bike.

Thank you so much for your help.

If you are going to go to the trouble of taking the carbs off, you may as well open them up and fix them yourself. Assuming it's a GS, search this forum for how tos and tips. There is a lot of good info here.
    And yes, they should be able to diagnose and fix the issue with just the carbs, providing your petcock is functioning properly, but the best way, in my mind is ti have the whole bike so you can sync them when your done.

Comment

if they wanted to they could put gas in them and check them for leaks most will just take them apart and overhaul them. there is is nothing mystical about carbs do 'em your self JUST INSPECT AND CLEAN EVERYTHING.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Carbs

Yeah, for sure! The biggest struggle you'll have is getting them off and on the bike. I think you'll be able to figure out what's going on and solve the problem fairly easily. Cleaning and rebuilding them is pretty straight forward....also, inexpensive.:-D

If it seems complicated, take some digital pictures that you can refer to when you reassemble them.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

See this article ... http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_carbrebuild.htm

I has great pictures and you should be able to figure it out. The leak might be the float hieght or the associated needle valve or orifice.

Good luck.

Comment

Get an o-ring kit from www.cycleorings.com and replace all of them yourself. A shop will probably have a hard time dealing with just your carbs and tank- in my experience any excuss they have to not do something is what they look for.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Here is a writeup one of our members did. If you have an 80 model or later, your carbs will be like the ones used in the article. 77-79 carbs are different, but the basics still apply. They reall arent all that complicated. Just take your time, and if you get stuck, do some searching in the tech forum, chances are youll find exactly what you need.

Comment

Working...
              X