bike turns over,but won't start???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bike turns over,but won't start???

some of you may already know that i have an '82 gs1100gk that i picked up cheap...the original plan was to fix it and sell it,i've since taken a liking to the old bike,and plan to keep it...i'm not much of a mechanic though,i can take somrthing apart an put it back together,but this was torn apart when i got it...so far i've got the carbs back on,i'm not sure of a couple of things though...1)on the bottom of the tank there are the guage wires,and a small hose,what's the hose and where does it go?the big line with the spring around it,coming from the carbs, is the fuel line,and the small line is the vaccum line,both hook to the petcock,right?2)what are the dual hoses,both of the same diameter,coming off of the carbs twoards the air box,and where do they go?3)i put a brand new battery and plugs in,hooked the vaccum line and gas line to the petcock,and tried to start the bike,without the air box on,the other line coming from the tank,and the dual lines not hooked to anything,and th bike would not start...i should mention the the battery was only on the charger for about an hour...i did the screwdriver test and am getting spark,and gas came out of the carbs,but the thing won't start...HELP PLEASE!!!:sad::sad::sad:

Damon

Wires and hose on right side are for a fuel sending unit. They connect to the gas gauge on the instrament panel. Hose is just a vent of sorts. Mine just hangs of to the side.

Two hoses coming off carbs are vent lines. I just ran mine back towards the seat, again, not connected to anything.

Two hoses should go to the petcock, one from the middle of the carbs and one from carb # 2 area. The later is the vacum and the other is the main line.

If you have fuel, can i assume that you have also checked spark at the plugs as well?

Comment

put brand new plugs in it,i have spark on #1,haven't checked the rest yet...th bike sat for six years

Damon

Comment

If you do have spark, will it start with strarting fluid sprayed into the carbs? At least this will tell you if everything else is configured correctly. I had the same problem with a bike, (1981 GS 1000) that sat for 10 years. Gas came out of the carbs but not in the proper fashion. Fired right up with starting fluid, but wouldn't stay running. I am guessing that yours need to be thouroughly cleaned if you haven't already done so. Mine were so bad, I had to buy rebuild kits. Works beautifully now.

Comment

Originally posted by diceman1000
          tried to start the bike,without the air box on,the other line coming from the tank,and the dual lines not hooked to anything,and th bike would not start...i should mention the the battery was only on the charger for about an hour...i did the screwdriver test and am getting spark,and gas came out of the carbs,but the thing won't start...HELP PLEASE!!!:sad::sad::sad:

Damon
          gas came out the carbs? where?
          it won't run without the air box on
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yeah, my bike turns over sometimes too, & the older I get, the harder it is to pick it back up. Uh!!! sorry...
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

yeah,starting fluid is the next step...going to put the air box on tonight

Damon

Comment

bike cranked right over with starting fluid,the tank had six year old gas in it,and the petcock is about shot...how do i flush the tank,and what is a good replacement pet cock?i think if i get good gas in her she'll run just fine

Damon

Comment

I drilled a hole in the side of my airbox to allow for the insertion of starting fluid on those moist mornings, and use a sheetrock screw to plug it when strarted. Yours may have turned over nicely but keep in mind that even if you get a good flow of fuel to th ecarbs, they need to distibute it appropriately. You may still need to clean out the carbs.

As for the tank, There are cleaners that can be swished around the inside of the tank but I can't remember the names. Most any bike shop should carry them. I had a bit of rust in mine and installed an inline filter after rebuilding the carbs. Some guys here say not to do that, but i haven't had any problems yet. As for the petcock, there are usually quite a few on ebay. Sometimes you can find a rebuild kit depending on the condition of the original.

Comment

Diceman did you figure out the problem? Im going through the same thing with a 77gs 550. I am no mechanic I did change an air filter once but it took me a little while to figure out how to work the wing nut.:-D I have spark and fuel in the carb but it wont start. I took the carbs off and was able to spray carb cleaner throught the jets but it still wont start.

Comment

Jayson,haven't figured it out yet...i'm going to pull the carbs and clean them good saturday,clean the tank good,and put some good 91 octane gas in her and see what happens...

Damon

Comment

Won't start?

Check your points and/or fire.

Comment

I did get mine to start, It turned out to be the battery when I checked spark it was off a car batter when I put in the motorcycle battery it wasnt getting spark. So now I guess I have to find a stronger battery. Good luck to you I will be watching this thread to see what you find.

Comment

well,it was old gas still in the tank.got the new gas in it and it runs...need to put the air box back on it and flush the tank...some people are saying to pull the carbs and clean them,i'm thinking some seafoam may do the trick...

Damon

Comment

Jayson...I'm curious. How long do you have to crank it before it fires off?

Comment

Working...
                              X