Drive shaft u-joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drive shaft u-joints

Hi all, just bought an 83 GS1100GK that needs a little work. It needs new u-joints in the drive shaft, the previous owner said that you have to replace the entire shaft. Does anyone know if this is correct or can just the u-joints be replaced ( I know that they are pressed in)? Also how hard is it replacing the u-joints or the shaft (which ever it has to be)? I'm a pretty good wrench, but not that familiar with shaft drives on bikes.

Just wait a little while Our resident GK expert Nick D. will surely have the answer.
    GY

Comment

I must plead ignorance on this issue. I've never had a driveshaft/u-joint unit fail on me in almost 17 years of GS shaftie ownership. My guess is that the entire unit should be replaced.

Wish I could be more helpful.

By the way, I have a driveshaft/u-joint unit for sale, off a 1980 GS850GT. I don't know if it will fit your GK, but it's possible. I do know the unit off a 1982, 83, or 84 GS850G or GS1100G (or GK) will fit it.

Nick

Comment

GS1100GK drive shaft

I would say they are probably repairable if they are pressed in. If it is, should be the same as on hydronic pumps (excuse my HVAC background). Hard and long work to get the thing dismantled for bearings and/or sleeves replacement, unless you have a good u-joint extractor for these. Better leave it to a mechanical shop, and not necessarily a bike shop. Then you need to find the same size replacement parts you need. I would suggest to go to a bearing place for help on sizing it all. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Comment

Working...
        X