Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats everyone getting for Miles Per Gallon

Hey All,

I think I've seen bits and pieces mentioned about what people are getting for MPG on their bikes but not a full thread. The 'How Fast is Your GS' thread has a million posts. I think it is a big concern with the cost of gas these days so what is everyone getting for MPG by model and what adjustments have you made to improve or reduce MPG.

Tony

I get about 42 MPG combined highway/city on an 1982 GS 1100 G (25K miles on bike)

I average about 41 MPG commuting in town and more than 50 on the highway (37+K miles on the clock).

Comment

I was getting a steady 50 on my GS400, but I'll have to see what happens when I finish rejetting.

Comment

Just did a 125 mile rally this past Sunday. I got 50mpg, 1979 GS550e, while riding two-up the whole day. I get 55-57 mpg riding alone. Changes are; K&N filter in stock airbox, 85 mains and an extra tooth on the countershaft sprocket. My mpg was about 45 before the changes. The sprocket change gave me 3-4mpg but interestingly, the biggest return seems to have been the change from the stock 80 jet to the 85. I made that change because when I moved to the K&N air filter it caused my bike to run too lean. I'm not sure how going to a larger jet would give me better milage, it seems rather counter-intuitive. Nonetheless those three changes gave me 10-12mpg better economy. Everything else on the bike is stock except for a Dyna S electronic ignition. I added that years ago and it had no noticible effect on fuel economy.

P.S. There are no highways around here , just quiet country roads so my top speed is 55mph and more often less than that. There are also no citys around here so stop and go traffic is minimal. One time when I traveled out onto the 70 mph plus interstate, I noticed my milage went to crap in a big hurry. I think I barely got 40 on that trip.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2006, 02:35 PM.

Comment

83 Gs 1100 Gk

32-34 City
          40 Hwy on my 83 GS 1100 GK

Brian

Comment

45 MPG on the '80 GS550E in the city. It hardly ever goes on the highway

My '78 GS1000...Around 40 MPG on the Highway. It hardly ever gets ridden in the city.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2006, 02:24 PM.

Comment

'82 850GL

Just came back from a 1200+ mile trip to Nashville, which included 300 miles on the freeway to get there, some commuting while there, and Cherohala Skyway and Deals Gap on the way home.\\/

Lowest was 42.3 on the freeway getting there, highest was 55.2 on Cherohala. Average for the trip (corrected to GPS miles, not odometer miles, even though they are close) was 47.6.

Odometer miles were 1230.7, GPS miles were 1216.7.
              That is ONE ACCURATE ODOMETER. (Only off by 1.4%) :-D
              Speedometer is just as close.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

high 40s...

Comment

78 GS1000, all stock engine, 42 tooth rear, 38MPG steady, but it's mostly on the highway and mostly ridden pretty hard. 78mph is the norm.

Comment

Varies a bit depending on the mood of my right wrist......... typically my low was 39, and my high was 45 mpg.

(The 39 surfaced when I was chasing KGB, and he took me down the winding, hilly rt. 123 in NH)

Comment

Well, I've never really measured it....but I add about a beer cans worth after every 1/4 mile run...\\/ \\/

Later,
                      Bob T.
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I was riding an 84 1150ES until a few weeks ago getting about 32-35 mpg all stock. I sold it to a friend of mine and he has been getting 42-44 mpg, I think he rides easier than I did. My ZX12R gets about 28-32.

Glenn

Comment

I just started checking the past two weeks. Stock engine, no mods. I have been getting 40-45 mpg. I thought about slowing down to posted speeds to see if I could hit 50 mpg, but then I decided 45 was good enough. :-D

Comment

Before it crapped out on me I could push it close to 60mpg if I rode like a grandma on the backroads, but usually I was in the 45-55 range. All stock intake and exhaust. The tach is dead so I try to keep from twisting it too tight.

Comment

gs850gz low 43.2 --- high 47.6 ---normal 46 ish
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X