Charging System Warning Signs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging System Warning Signs?

Hey guys i have been browsing around looking for someone who is having issues wih their lights flickersing while he bike is at idle.

Background of my issue is when I am waiting at signals at night my headlight will flicker (but not going off just dim and come back) with my turn signals.

I only have automotive background and that experience with this kind of issue is my charging system probably is operating but alternator is almost on its last leg... last time I tested it the meter showed proper power and my battery is not losing voltage at all. I haven't tendered it this week given I have been rioding to work and not had a power outlet in my parking lot to plug in to figured that shouldn't bother it at all since I riding it every morning for a good 40 miles to and from work.

what do you hink I should check out guys...foudn teh stuff sayign clean the fuse contacts and am gogin to do that when I replace my rear shocks this weekend....waned to have a full check list to go on so hopefull I solve this and put any doubts behind me

Bike is a:
    1980 GS750E
    Unknown mileage odo is busted showes ~41K on it when I bought it (fix in the works so I can do my mileage intervals)
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2006, 03:09 AM.

Well it would'nt hurt to clean every connector you can find including grounds and bulb sockets. Replace any bad or loose connectors and use the "stator pages" for testing. Good luck.

Comment

I would take a look at the spot thr R/R conncts to the wiring. I have had it happen more than once that this connector has gotten hot and melted and wires/connections have been damaged calling for a wiring rehab. I think this is most likely if an R/R has gone out in the past.

Comment

I was thinking of tackling a re-wiring on the bike over the winter in addition to replacing all the gaskets and all that good stuff... given there isn't a lot of wiring to speak of is re-wiring the electrical system much of a challenge and is there any hints for how I should progress with that?

I will check out all the plugs it has as you suggested and clean off the metal contacts in the fusebox to make sure I don't just have junk bugging the connections up....believe I have the ol bus fuses don't recall atm

That stator write up will be very useful indeed thx for suggesting that beby99

Comment

charging problems

I am new here and I am not sure how this post thing works. However I am having major problems with my charging system . I ahve 1980 suzuki GS1000G and i have replaced the stator and the rectorfire and added an new battery and it still will not charge. Can anyone help me and tell me what Im missing? Thanks Russ[-o<

Comment

what is R/R?

Comment

Have you checked voltage coming from alt.?

Comment

KCwiro,

The slight flickering of the headlight is somewhat normal, as long as it goes away when the engine speed rises. It is just a very graphic indiction of the woefully inadequate wiring that comes on most bikes. And, it has not gotten much better over the years.

Except for the starter wire, I don't think there are very many wires on either of my GSs that is larger than 16-gauge. If I remember correctly, 8-[ 16-gauge is good for about 10 amps. Sitting still at a light with the signal and the brake on, we are exceding that by a fair margin. Good thing these bikes are not water-cooled, 'cause it would be bad when the radiator fan kicked in.

Besides the fact that there is a LOT of draw through inadequate wiring, at idle, the alternator (stator) can not keep up with demand, so the power comes from the battery. Look again at your battery wiring. The wires are not all that big, so full voltage has a hard time getting to the lights, making them dim. Turn more lights on and off (turn signals) and the battery just can't keep up, so it dims.

Just seems to be the nature of the beast. Get a voltmeter so you can keep track of what is happening. Having one on the 850 was nice just a couple of weeks ago, as we saw voltage climbing to about 17 on our way home. Put on the spare regulator and it's back in the 13.8-14.1 range now.

Here is a link to the meter that I have:
                http://www.wingworx.com/browseproduc...olt-Meter.html
                It is also nice to have the thermometer and clock. \\/

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My only warning sign was my headlight blew, then blew the replacement on the way home, checked the voltage the next day, 17:shock: ordered a r/r that day.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
                    KCwiro,

The slight flickering of the headlight is somewhat normal, as long as it goes away when the engine speed rises. It is just a very graphic indiction of the woefully inadequate wiring that comes on most bikes. And, it has not gotten much better over the years.

Except for the starter wire, I don't think there are very many wires on either of my GSs that is larger than 16-gauge. If I remember correctly, 8-[ 16-gauge is good for about 10 amps. Sitting still at a light with the signal and the brake on, we are exceding that by a fair margin. Good thing these bikes are not water-cooled, 'cause it would be bad when the radiator fan kicked in.

Besides the fact that there is a LOT of draw through inadequate wiring, at idle, the alternator (stator) can not keep up with demand, so the power comes from the battery. Look again at your battery wiring. The wires are not all that big, so full voltage has a hard time getting to the lights, making them dim. Turn more lights on and off (turn signals) and the battery just can't keep up, so it dims.

Just seems to be the nature of the beast. Get a voltmeter so you can keep track of what is happening. Having one on the 850 was nice just a couple of weeks ago, as we saw voltage climbing to about 17 on our way home. Put on the spare regulator and it's back in the 13.8-14.1 range now.

Here is a link to the meter that I have:
                    http://www.wingworx.com/browseproduc...olt-Meter.html
                    It is also nice to have the thermometer and clock. \\/

Well there is a relief... I managed to blow my low beam headlight the other day which cut my ride that night to a hault given I could only use my high beam which still works ... cept others on the road were less than happy. I will pull out the voltmeter and test again after I buy a new bulb....see if I need a new regulator after I test away

Like that voltmeter I'll order that guy today...might as well give this bike a bike more bling ne way...not that it is required

Thanks for the tip I'll put it in action promptly8-[

... question maybe dumb...

I am using the contact under the left sidecover by my R/R to test my voltage... I take it that spot is just fine to test the voltage from the alternator, correct me if I should be testing somewhere else
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2006, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by russellflem
                      what is R/R?
                      it is a combined voltage REGULATOR and a RECTIFIER, hence r/r for short
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by russellflem
                        I am new here and I am not sure how this post thing works. However I am having major problems with my charging system . I ahve 1980 suzuki GS1000G and i have replaced the stator and the rectorfire and added an new battery and it still will not charge. Can anyone help me and tell me what Im missing? Thanks Russ[-o<
                        Russell the stator pages are what you need to use

and

and
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                        X