Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No start on cold wet morns

Hey all,

I run an 82 gs650g, totally stock, runs great except when I gets up and its cold and moist. On those morning, she just won't start. If I pull the airbox cover off and shoot some starter fluid in, she starts right up. Any body have any tricks to solve this. I read one recent post where someone said they've drilled a hole in the air box cover to shoot starter spray in and then they plug it with a sheet rock screw when the bike's running. Is this about the best option? Thanks for your help.

It smells like electrical if it is only happening on the wet days. Is something grounding out. Can you check sparks on one of these days.

Comment

Spray the wires and plug caps with wd40, crc5-56 or silicone or something that will displace moisture then wait a few minutes before starting or dry them with a hair dryer and see if it will start then.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I haven't checked spark on those mornings, usually cuz I'm running late to work! I'll try and roll out of bed earlier one of these days. On another note, is it worth it for me to just replace my coils and wires with aftermarket? If so, any recommendations for a good set? Thanks for the help.

Comment

It could be a short elsewhere. I'd diagnose before shelling out $.

Comment

I agree it sounds electrical, but it almost sounds like a weak spark if the starter fluid gets it going. I would try Rusty's method, it wouldn' take that long to test. Then test the spark itself, that does take slightly longer.
            And if it is the coils, I would certainly go aftermarket. There are several excellent brands out there that will fit and are much better quality with a hotter spark. And they only cost about $20 more than stock coils.

Comment

If it starts with starting fluid but won't without, I'm betting your choke system is plugged or non-functional and it's time for a carb cleaning.

Comment

I've been having a similar issue with my gs1100L. I yanked the battery, charged it out of the bike for a couple of days, and it seemed to help. I think with mine it's a combo of dirty carbs, and a charging issue.

Comment

Originally posted by arveejay View Post
                  If it starts with starting fluid but won't without, I'm betting your choke system is plugged or non-functional and it's time for a carb cleaning.
                  Sorry for not responding, wound up in the hospital with a gallbladder issue
                  Anyways, shouldn't be choke system or carbs, just cleaned, rebuilt and synched 1,000 miles ago and the bike runs perfect. I actually threw a sheet over it last night, woke up and there was dew on everything except my bike and she started right up, so I'm leaning towards wires unless anyone has any other ideas. BTW, spark doesn't look like a "fat, blue spark" as Clymer says it should. Looks like a thin, blue line If it comes down to coils, any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by JimminyCricket View Post
                    Anyways, shouldn't be choke system or carbs, just cleaned, rebuilt and synched 1,000 miles ago and the bike runs perfect. I actually threw a sheet over it last night, woke up and there was dew on everything except my bike and she started right up, so I'm leaning towards wires unless anyone has any other ideas. BTW, spark doesn't look like a "fat, blue spark" as Clymer says it should. Looks like a thin, blue line If it comes down to coils, any recommendations?
                    If it's blue, you're good to go. Test your wires and try a little di-electric grease on the plug ends. In fact, it wouldn't hurt to go through all your connections, clean and slap a little DEG on there.

Comment

Starting

I've been having cold starting problems; after running my battery down once trying, I recharged it and it started right up. Next time it wouldn't start, I charged it again (after just a couple tries) and it started right up. This battery has been depleted and recharged a few times (had a stator issue, now resolved), so I'm guessing I just need a new one. How's yours? Jim

Comment

Originally posted by JimminyCricket View Post

so I'm leaning towards wires unless anyone has any other ideas. BTW, spark doesn't look like a "fat, blue spark" as Clymer says it should. Looks like a thin, blue line If it comes down to coils, any recommendations?
                        hope everything is ok

wires, coil(s) and or caps... SPRAY 'EM and or replace the offenders
                        Last edited by rustybronco; 08-18-2006, 04:03 PM.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

My plug cap has no resisance in it, why cant I get a regular plug cap that doesnt have resisance in it.

Comment

Spray your plug wires with water while it's running in the dark and watch the light show.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X