Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting into 1st

Hey all

Quick question: sometimes when I'm idling at a light or something in neutral, I'll find it hard to get into first. Sometimes it just clicks in as it should, other times I have to stomp down on the shifter, and on a few occations I have to start out in 2nd cause i can't even get it. Is this possibly a function of low gear oil (altho I try to keep up on my fluids)? Wearing gears?

Thanks guys

Max

Originally posted by max
    Hey all

Quick question: sometimes when I'm idling at a light or something in neutral, I'll find it hard to get into first. Sometimes it just clicks in as it should, other times I have to stomp down on the shifter, and on a few occations I have to start out in 2nd cause i can't even get it. Is this possibly a function of low gear oil (altho I try to keep up on my fluids)? Wearing gears?

Thanks guys

Max
    You might need to adjust the clutch cable.
    What kind of bike is it?
    How many miles?
    Have you checked the oil?
    Do you have a service manual for the bike?

Comment

The clutch may not be disengaging fully. See clutch adjustment. You can test this by putting the bike in 1st, engine off, and trying to push it with the clutch pulled in. Compare the amount of force needed to push the bike with it in neutral. Pushing it with the clutch pulled in and in gear will take more force, because there is drag in even a properly adjusted clutch, but it shouldnt be too much harder.

Comment

Try putting it into 1st before you stop
        roll it forward or backwards a little then try 1st.
        time for an oil change?
        clutch dragging?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I shift down through the gears for braking power. If I don't or stop in neutral I sometimes can't get it into first. But if I shift down and put it into first before stopping I've never had a problem.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
            I shift down through the gears for braking power. If I don't or stop in neutral I sometimes can't get it into first. But if I shift down and put it into first before stopping I've never had a problem.
            Same here. I've noticed if the idle speed is too high, it is harder to shift into first also

Comment

Originally posted by relic-rider
              Same here. I've noticed if the idle speed is too high, it is harder to shift into first also

That's usually an indication that your clutch is dragging, RR.

I am having the same problem intermittently with my GS400, when it gets hot. I find if I just let the clutch out bit, it will let me shift into 1st. Something is getting a little tight in there when it heats up. I hesitate to stomp on the shift lever to get it in, I don't like forcing things that aren't doing what they should, although I have tried it once or twice & it worked.

My guess is that the shift drum is a little sticky - but that's just a guess.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot. My clutch lever has been gettin a little sloppy, guess I should have put two and two together. Damn I need to pick up a repair book...

Comment

No!!

Whatever you do, don't "stomp on the shifter" or you'll end up with a problem far worse than the one you have now.
                  1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

One second of frustrations=80 hours shop time.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

i don't mean to hijack this post, but a related question - is a clutch engagement near the end of travel of the lever (that is, clutch doesn't engage until lever mostly out) a symptom of needing a clutch adjustment - i have very similar issues getting into first.

Comment

maybe..

there are two or three point that affect the clutch... two that adjust it straight out and the other on the push rod.

At each end of the cable there is an adjuster... the clutch handle is free play adjust and the one ontop of the rear motor casing adjusts the cable it self.. they work in tandem.

If you pull the free play and then adjust the motor side.. it will cused too much tension on the cable. The other is the clutch pivot poit that moves the rod in and oout to activate the clutch it is under the three screw cover and has a nut and screw on it.. ( part runs about $0 busck from suzuki).

This adjusts the force on the rod to push (engage ) the clutch. And it may need to be lubed.. I did mine with axle grease and push it in and around the pivot while activating the clutch with the lever. Also lube the cable to keep it from binding..

Hopes this helps.

JP

Comment

Just to add: Check your clutch cable at the lever. It could be fraying there. An OEM cable is less than $15 and could end up saving you a lot of needless adjustments, and, worse, having to try and ride home with a broken clutch cable.

Brad tt

Comment

I cannot get into 5th- any chance that the cable adjustments could be the issue here as well? Does anyone have any experience with shifting into 5th?

Comment

Uh oh Sounds like a buggered up tranny. No trouble with any other gears?

Comment

Working...
                              X