What are you guys using for oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you guys using for oil?

Is 20W-50 really the recomended oil for 550 and 750 engines???

Castro 20/50 for my 1100. I live in a real hot area though.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I usually go with 10w-40

I do use 20w-50 sometimes
      Not any big difference if any at all
      Keith
      -------------------------------------------
      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCell View Post
        Is 20W-50 really the recomended oil for 550 and 750 engines???
        The recommended oil viscosity is specified by Suzuki in the owner's manual, usually 10W-40. Other viscosities may be used, depending on conditions. For example, 20W-50 may be used in very hot weather although 10W-40 will suffice.

20W-50 should not be used in cold weather.

Comment

I run 10w-40, mainly because that what it says on my oil filler cap. As for brand, Castrol GTX has always done me well, and when I tore my engine down, there was no sludge and crap in there, even after sitting for a few years.

Comment

Just completing my 1166 kit on my 80 1100E. After the bore was complete I spoke with the machinest and he told me that Castrol 20w 50 racing oil would be great for breaking her in. I still run it now and and have had no problems.

The Beast

Comment

amsoil 20w50 m/c oil and i have used 15w40 rotella
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Castrol GTX 20/50 and 10/40 in the 'Zook and the little KZ

Castrol GTX 20/50 in the KZ650

Castrol Actevo (blend) 10/40 in the VFR (water cooled)

Was thinking about going with the Actevo in the GS, but the GTX has done me right for many years now. For the cost difference, I can change my oil more than twice as often....

I went with Actevo in the VFR, because I'm hoping to pass it down to my daughter in about 16 years . Maybe not, but I am expecting to put a couple hundred K on it. It had less than 13K on it when I bought it last year, which is as close to a new bike as I've ever had - and that's barely broken in for a Honda V4.

-Q!

Comment

I use Suzuki 20/50. I live in Georgia and still run
                  the same oil in the winter. No problems on my 81
                  GS 650E with 12K on the clock.

I noticed that I'm the only one using Suzuki oil.
                  I'm I missing something here?

jrs

Comment

Originally posted by JimminyCricket View Post
                    I run 10w-40, mainly because that what it says on my oil filler cap. As for brand, Castrol GTX has always done me well, and when I tore my engine down, there was no sludge and crap in there, even after sitting for a few years.
                    Oh no he d'int... Someone always bring brands into the discussion.:-D I am using the 10-40 Golden Spectro. Has worked well for me in the past.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

15w-40 Shell Rotella

Comment

I remember a test back in the early 80's ( Cycle World or Cycle Guide, I believe) with one of our very own 1000cc GS's and a 1000cc Beemer. They were checking oil temps with different oil coolers and different grade oils. The Suzuki ran significantly hotter,on the order of 20 or so degrees, with 20/ 50. Suzuki specifies 10/40 for all temps for a good reason, The 20/ 50 increases drag and friction resulting in higher oil temps.
                        The Beemer is made for 20/ 50 though and still got upwards of 300 degrees at the main bearings.
                        Of course, you could get away with almost any oil for some time.
                        I would encourage you to use the recommended 10/40 or a 15/40. Rotella/ Delvac/ Delo is great stuff and cheap!

Comment

Mazola....
                          Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                            Mazola....
                            Errr Don, I think We're talking about IN the Bike!:shock:
                            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                            X