No announcement yet.

Suspension & Handling Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only drawback to doing all these things at once is, I won't know what fixed the problem!

Comment

If its bearings you will see it, if its bent parts you will see it, you know about the oil levels being different, if its worn parts you will see/feel it.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 08-22-2006, 08:05 AM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I think all that bird crap from santa cruz is causing your bike to be inbalanced :-D

Seriously though, my guess is either bearings or issues with your fork tubes. Wish i could help ya out but im booked all through this weekend. Gotta get my to do list cought up before my fall classes take up all my time.

Good luck

Eric

Comment

I think all that bird crap from santa cruz is causing your bike to be inbalanced
          One of life's embarrasing moments. Thanks Eric, I thought you promised not to tell. Next time I guess I should pay you to keep the promise.

Seriously, as an update. I decided to split up all my fixes to see if I can determine what the problem was. When I get my parts, I'll replace the fork springs and steering head bearings. I did order new wheel bearings for the front and back, but I'll hold off on those. I agree with the concensus about fork springs and clean, even level fork oil. I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

don't forget swing arm bearings, i have seen many a swings arm bearing pour out of a swing arm in small rusty lumps, which i would assume would cause bad handeling...

-ryan
            78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
            82 Kat 1000 Project
            05 CRF450x
            10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Thanks Ryan, I'm not forgetin' 'em. If the front end work doesn't do it, I'll look closer at the swing arm.

Comment

Pulled my steering stem today. I was surprised to find the bearings were dry! No sign of scoring on the rollers or races. I have new bearings and races on order, but I am not confident in my ability to knock out the old races. Considering the lack of visible wear, I'm debating just repacking my old bearings. Any thoughts?

Found out today that my fork springs are back ordered (bikebandit.com). I'm a bit disappointed, but I did get a good price with the AMA discount. Hopefully it won't take too long.

Comment

Well, it seems like forever since I started this repair. I finally got my fork springs yesterday. Spent last night and most of today putting my bike back together. I took care of a bunch of cosmetic stuff while waiting for my parts.

I repacked the steering head bearings, and replaced the front fork springs, seals, and fork oil. By the time I finished it was getting late, but I did get out for a quick road test. WOW! what a difference. The bike rides a bit higher, and handles superbly. With the new shocks i installed last year, and the new front springs she feels showroom new.

Tomorrow I'm gonna give her the once over. Retorque a few things. Then take a good long trip. I am really looking forward to it, as I missed my big bike so much.

Thanks a lot to all the guru's who offered advice on this thread. I always say, the been-there-done-that crowd is what makes this forum special.

Comment

Working...
                  X