Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust weld busted

Hey guys...

Well when I geared up to ride my bike to work this morning I discovered aan unpleasent thing... the guy before me or whoever welded the pipes on instead of using a clamp ... well the weld failed and now I have exhaust coming from that break... I can't really see it very well given it on the bottom of the bike so I plan to take the exhaust headers off tonight and the exhaust pipes and see if I can just have the weld repaired. I hope its not too bad[-o<

Not sure if this is related or not but with this break in the pipes my bike runs like well crap... best to assume this is the result of my exhaust leak messing up the works?

Also since I'm taking it off anyway .. might it be a good time to replace the exhaust gaskets and replace the bolts y/n? (suggestions for taking them out without breakage?)

...I have hopes I can fix this and get another month of riding in before I do my take down / repair of all the gaskets on this beast. (I'll be posting up a shopping list request later once I get close to magic time)

Bike is 1980 GS750E

Originally posted by Kcwiro View Post
    Hey guys...

Well when I geared up to ride my bike to work this morning I discovered aan unpleasent thing... the guy before me or whoever welded the pipes on instead of using a clamp ... well the weld failed and now I have exhaust coming from that break... I can't really see it very well given it on the bottom of the bike so I plan to take the exhaust headers off tonight and the exhaust pipes and see if I can just have the weld repaired. I hope its not too bad[-o<

...I have hopes I can fix this and get another month of riding in before I do my take down / repair of all the gaskets on this beast. (I'll be posting up a shopping list request later once I get close to magic time)

Bike is 1980 GS750E
    Disconnect the battery, put pipe/muffler back in alignment and fire up m.i.g
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

m.i.g. ? well if the weld is broken and I have no clamps what to stop it from leaking again if I don't fix the weld?

Comment

M.I.G. is a welder, metal inert gas, it was welded by someone before, fix it correctly when ya ain't riding it that way you don't have to worry about broken bolts/studs and not being able to ride it.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

had one side of mine done

I had a 3/4 split along the original weld had a friend of my daughter mig weld it up and it looks like he ran a grinder over the pipes but it doesn't flex like it did before.. I have a 4-1 thast I use for emergencies.. the broke pipe was on 4-2 right side.

BTW it is a 78 gs550

Comment

<-- is welding clueless - Thanks for the info I got under the bike last night to check out what is going on with it.. results are as follows:

There is a set of clamps on it on two of the 4 pipes (others are welded but they are actually holding) and the exhaust is coming out on the two most inner pipes *one with th ecross section*.

The clamps are tightened fully but don't look to be the right size given the clamps don't tighten flush when fully wrenched down. (not positive if they are supposed to be like that or not)

wish I would have had a digital to take a shot of it but it didnt' cross my mind to snag that while I was looking...

With the clamps that are on there and leaking correct me if I'm wrong, could I just obtain a new set of clamps to replace the existing ones?

...if pics are necessary I can get them tonight so you can see what I am trying to describe.

Aside from that the idle being all messed up now is something I think will go away once I button up these pipes.

Comment

Working...
            X