Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS1000 E Caliper piston removal

I am replacing the boots and seals on the front calipers of my
    78 GS1000 E. However, the piston on the right caliper isn't coming out. I have not gone to the left side because I like to keep something together to look at during reassembly. My Clymer manual is totally worthless. Is there a trick to this that I am missing? Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.[-o<

im not sure if this is a good idea but i did it once on my 83 750. i had the entire caliper off and used my air compressor to blow are in to the caliper and the piston flew out across my backyard.

Comment

Tried that

Good thing the air compressor trick didn't work when I tried it, I was in the garage! I'll try it again tomorrow, outside, and try and seal the hole better. Otherwise I may have to wait for my parts, then replace the seal on the arm, reassemble the caliper and hook it up to the brake line and let the brake fluid do the job. What a messy pain in the * that is gonna be.

I see you also have an 84 LT185. I'm on my second one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
        im not sure if this is a good idea but i did it once on my 83 750. i had the entire caliper off and used my air compressor to blow are in to the caliper and the piston flew out across my backyard.
        that can be dangerous. Try leaving the caliper hooked up to the master, with the pads out and the caliper hanging over a bucket. Apply the brakes until the piston pops out of the caliper. No chance of shooting the piston accross the garage at mach 10

Comment

Just had to do that today on the bike I am rebuilding. The previous owner had neglected it terribly and the pistons were totally frozen. I had to use compressed air - and it can be dangerous as the piston will fly a long way! Hopefully you should not have to resort to that. The previous post suggestion of using the master cylinder to force it out works well. Good luck!
          Cheers,
          Mike:-D

Comment

I'm at the exact same dilemma. GS1000E right front caliper piston is frozen. I like the idea of using pressure to pop the piston out. One piece of advice though. That piston is OBSOLETE!. You can't get a NOS replacement unless you get lucky on ebay or something. So be careful not to damage it. Piston seals and boots are still available from your local Suzuki shop.

Comment

Compressed air will pop it out. Just put some rags around things so the piston doesn't get damaged.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

if its stuck, use the brake master cylinder pressure to get it out if its not to bad and air compressor will do fine, put a board or rags in there to keep it from flying around when using air pressure. if its stuck REALLY bad, fittings and a grease gun...
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                X