Tach Talk "Mystery"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Talk "Mystery"

The tach drive on my 84 GS550ES is missing from the valve cover and the hole plugged. However my tach works just fine. My exhaust cam has the gear teeth on it for the tach drive. How is my tach being actuated? Must be electrical? Did Suzuki make a kit for this, or was the gear actuated tach drive discontinued around this year??

I've been wondering about this for the five years I have been riding this one and then I found the GS forum. Any answers out there?

Tom

I don't know for sure but I would imagine that they still had parts bins full of the geared cams and valve covers with the cable hole in the them and it was just cheaper to buy a bunch of plugs to go in the holes rather than pay to have all new valve covers made for those bikes.

Comment

Tom

Just checked the parts fiche for your bike at alphasports.com It shows only a speedometer cable so your tach is electric.

Scott

Comment

Tach Talk

Thanks Scotto/Devildog

I feel better. I think it came that way from the factory and they just plugged the valve cover and used the geared cam until they ran out as devildog suggests.

Regards, Tom

Comment

Working...
        X