No announcement yet.

TufStop brake pads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, he's talking about the old 1000 with the chain. The 1000G came with the newer caliper.

I did notice the difference in braking.

59. Grandfather of 3 boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
      Yeah, he's talking about the old 1000 with the chain. The 1000G came with the newer caliper.

I did notice the difference in braking.

59. Grandfather of 3 boys.
      Yep, I gotcha by 4 years! I've owned and ridden motorcycles since 1965, but nowhere near 240,000 miles! My hat's off to you for that. Anyway, thanks for your contribution re: the calipers. There is just an amazing amount of knowledge and experience in this forum. Thanks to everyone!

Comment

That's 240,000 miles on GS bikes. Altogether, almost 400,000 miles on motorcycles since 1970.

Glad to help out.

Comment

What an upgrade

Yep, I have a chain drive 78 E model with the floating calipers. It's odd to watch them move and flex when I apply the brakes. I think the slider axels (bolts) are starting to wear some, but not bad enough to be concerned with rebushing. I just completely rebuilt the calipers with new seals, boots and fluid, and figured I'd change out the pads while I was on a roll. I've not been able to put any time on the bike yet though as it has been a WIP all summer. Soon though, just waiting for my shorter S model throttle cables to arrive.

So now I am thinking I'll be doing some research, cross referencing some numbers and heading out to the local salvage yard where I think I recall seeing some later model shafties. A caliper upgrade sounds like a great winter project.

Thanks for all the info,

Comment

All I know is that I hate brake dust!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
              A contrary opinion: buy the cheapest pads. No such thing as a bad pad. They're all the same as far as performance, and I'm a pretty aggressive rider.

Buy cheap. Save money. I buy mine on eBay, bidding just once. If I get it, I get it, and if I don't, that's fine too.

Right now I have a set of front and rear EBC pads waiting, hanging from a nail in the garage. Why EBC? Because they're cheap. I've tried Ferodo, Vesrah, EBC, stock Suzuki, SBS, generic brands, and no difference whatever.

I know this doesn't jive with what some others are saying, but it's one opinion based on 20 years and 240,000 miles of GS riding -- 850's and present 1100G.
              I know it's an old thread...

Because of your advice, I have bought Ferodo rear pads for $10+ shipping, pyramid front pad(s) for $4 a set + shipping and I just bought a set of Emgo #90-71955 rears for 6.97 shipped.

Nick, you saved me a butt lot of money on brake pads... Thank You!
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

It was a pleasure saving you some money, rustybronco.

I have cheap, nameless pads on my Venture, and they work just fine.

Comment

Adding to your initial comments. the one thing that seemed to matter the most, was the friction between the tyres and the road.

for me, brake fade has never been a problem in street riding and even with ebc's I can lock 'em up.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Organic EBC pads seemed to generate way more dust than the sintered metalic copper coloured ones. ( also EBC)
                    No doubt that the sintered pads feel much better, and I am able stop harder with less effort at the lever.
                    I think the the sintered pads are harder on brake rotors. I use them on the front of 1150 though because over all they are much nicer than the organic ones.
                    The organic ones, i use on the rear , i like real crappy pads for the rear of the 1150 as it seems to be so sensitive and overbraked. Especialy when I'm freakin...
                    GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Working...
                    X