Fuel Tank Alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank Alternatives

Perhaps another newbie question that has been previously explained elsewhere.... but I'm willing to risk it.

The gas tank on my 78 GS750E has a big dent in the side. Big enough that I just don't think it can be repaired right. It doesn't really bother me and I say that it just adds character, but if I can replace it.... I would. The only problem is, tanks in good shape bring big bucks on eBay and other sources. I'm not interested in dropped a big chunk-o-change just to replace my dented tank which doesn't bother me that much anyway. So, I'd consider other alternatives. I'm not that concerned with keeping it original (heck, it's a cafe racer afterall). So, what are my alternatives? Will other GS tanks fit (even if they are shaped somewhat different)?

I would first investigate alternatives for pulling the dent out externally. You may get lucky and find a way to pop out the major dent to a much more agreeable condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Boondocks View Post
      I would first investigate alternatives for pulling the dent out externally. You may get lucky and find a way to pop out the major dent to a much more agreeable condition.
      Not gonna happen, unfortunately. The dent is on the top side along the rolled corner, and has creased the sheetmetal.

Comment

Ding King!

Again, I have to suggest the "As Seen on TV" Ding King. Not seeing your dent, I don't know how effective it would be, but I have had very good luck. It won't pull a crease, but generally pulls the rest of the dent to make the damage MUCH more livable. I used it to pull two dents on the roll from the top to the side of my tank, used it on my truck and wifes car also. Again, not perfect but very livable. Probably score one on ebay for next to nothing. I also saw a similar product at Auto Zone the other day. Pep Boys has the Ding King. Both are about $20. It is pretty handy to keep around.

Comment

Way in the past, I put and 850G tank on a frame that was built of a 750E front half and a 750L rear half. It also had a Yamaha XS1100 seat. It worked and it worked well. The key here is I was employed in a shop that had these parts available to me to try and fit and see what worked and what didn't. If you're not in the business, your only option in my mind is a salvage yard that you would need to bring the bike to and grab tanks and place on the frame while looking to see how you can make it fit. It may not be easy but if you get it right it will be unique. Pay attention to safety, form and function and be anal about it.

Comment

most body shops can spot weld studs on a Bare piece of metal and "slide hammer" pull the dents, from there its fill, sand, prime, block and paint. thats one alternative. know any bodymen that can help you out?
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Try calling these guys: http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
              They have a lot, and I mean a lot, of parts that are never listed on their web site. They are also very knowledgeable about what will fit and what will not fit.
              Hope this helps.

Comment

kawasaki

hey there

my 78 gs750e has a kawasaki (i think Z900 or 650) tank. i think it looks better than the suzuki tank. i also have a z ducktail. tank seems to fit quite well although i didn't do it - previous owner did.

cheers
                gus

Comment

Originally posted by angus chapman View Post
                  hey there

my 78 gs750e has a kawasaki (i think Z900 or 650) tank. i think it looks better than the suzuki tank. i also have a z ducktail. tank seems to fit quite well although i didn't do it - previous owner did.

cheers
                  gus

Do you have pics??

Comment

Working...
                  X