Clutch Not Working!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Not Working!!!

I put my bike back together and used my old clutch, I went off the diagrams off bike bandit when reassembling it. Now when I squeeze my clutch lever it has no tension on it. I figured it just needed to be started to get the oil in between the disks. I roll started it a few minutes ago and went around the block and its still not working Any ideas to what the problem is? What did I screw up????? I am eagerly awaiting a response, thx guys

Check the Clutch Actuator on the Right Side of the Crankcase, Did You Thghten it when Reassembling the Motor?
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

What year and model is it?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Oh man, think about it for a minute...with what you supplied us...how are we supposed to know?

Is your cable intact?
        Is the cable adjustment correct?
        Did you put the plates together correctly?
        Did you use a manual?
        Did you mix up the order the plates were in?
        Got any spare parts left over? :shock:
        Go back and take a look man. That's all you can do.
        Good Luck.
        Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2006, 11:37 PM.

Comment

82 gs 750t the actuator isnt tight, it still has play in it. Did I overtighten the springs maybe? I tightened them all the way down

Comment

You tighten clutch springs down to snug. Your clutch arm is off a tooth or two possibly.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Thats the problem I would say. They are very tight. How far down should you tighten them?

Comment

Hi

Shef1366 is right.
                "I tightened them all the way down"
                You did not forget to put the bushings in there with the springs??
                No,do not think so...

Einar

Comment

Just try adjusting it, from what I read hear, if you tightened the spring to much, which I don't think is possible, they usually only go so far, then you wouldn't be able to pull the lever, you say it has no tension, so make sure everything is adjusted properly, maybe its as simple as to much slack in the cable

Comment

Fixed it, the springs were to tight, I had them screwed snug, I loosened them and it works fine now. Thx

Comment

Glad it Was an Easy Fix, Wish they all Were.
                      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Thats cool, could you please elaborate on how you are able to loosen the springs without having the bolts loose and risking them falling out, I will be doing my clutch as soon as the parts come in, is it different than normal clutches somehow? Usually, you tighten the bolts and they bottom out on the posts of the clutch hub, leaving the springs room to compress, this sounds different

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs850g View Post
                          Thats cool, could you please elaborate on how you are able to loosen the springs without having the bolts loose and risking them falling out, I will be doing my clutch as soon as the parts come in, is it different than normal clutches somehow? Usually, you tighten the bolts and they bottom out on the posts of the clutch hub, leaving the springs room to compress, this sounds different
                          I would also like to know the answer to this if anyone could help.

Thanx in advance :-D

Comment

bump ](*,)

Comment

I tighten my clutch springs to just "snug". Unless he put fifty pounds of tourque on the clutch springs I don't think the clutch is really fixed(unless he loosened it to snug) because he might throw a spring or two.

Comment

Working...
                              X