Gasket Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket Template

Does anyone know of any template for a 80 gs1100 valve cover gasket? I want to see if I can get one so I can use it to easily cut one out of some gasket making material. I dont want to order one and have to wait on delivery.

Adam

Could you coat the sealing surface of the valve cover with something wet/greasy/painty, then set it on top of the sheet of gasket material, thus making an imprint when you remove it? Then just cut along the imprint?

Comment

Never thought of that but it sounds like a great idea. Thanks

Adam

Comment

Another option is to use a ballpeen hammer & lightly tap on the gasket while it sits on the valve cover to actually cut it. We used to use this method to make new gaskets when there was no replacement readily available to replace the old one. The only down side is you have to ensure the gasket does not move around while you are tapping on it.

Comment

Arrr matey, they be so cheap why go fixin on fixin one.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I want the leak solved now for half the price.

Comment

Get a piece of single-ply pasteboard/cardboard and a really cheap candle.

(The cheap ones have the lowest melting point.)

Set the pasteboard on a wider area that is covered by newspapers. Be sure to use enough that melted wax drips will be absorbed.

Melt the wax in a pan and pour it evenly over the cardboard.

This will give you a soft, thin, surface that will take a good impression.

If you want to use the cover, place the coated pasteboard on a flat surface, press the head cover against it carefully and you have what you need.

Otherwise, place the pasteboard against the head and press firmly and evenly.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Avast! Thar be some great ideas here! And a hearty "yo-ho" to scurvy dog chef for the TLAPD observance! ;-)

Comment

put the valve cover on some .062 gasket material outline it with a mechanical pencil cut it with a singe sided razor blade or a hobbist knife then when your done cutting the outline of the gasket get some red trans gel or kendall blue chassis grease and lightly coat the valve cover gasket surface with your "dye" and press the cut out gasket on it and it will leave an outline that you can follow to cut the rest, the four "larger" round holes you can "cut" out with a small ball peen hammer, to cut the bolt holes out use a brass ferule hit with same said ball peen, six hours or so later you will have a new gasket on your hands. the gasket will probably shrink so you will have to torque it again. ask me how i know...
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Got to ask how do you know rusty?

I got some of the gasket making tools to easily punch out the holes, so that will help speed things up. I will let you know how long it takes me to make it.

Adam

Comment

Im not a gambling man but Im gonna bet (sorry) your homemade gasket is gonna leak. Order a new one and spend the time it takes to make a new one on that other project you have been putting off all summer. Good Luck.
                      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by akreider View Post
                        Got to ask how do you know rusty?

Adam
                        HEH HEH, experience adam! When i bought my 850 i was riding it home low a behold up popped a massive oil leak, so wanting to ride it as soon as i could i made the first one, be sure to measure your gasket thickness first and you will have to re-torque it!
                        i highly recommend buying one though.
                        Last edited by rustybronco; 09-21-2006, 08:01 AM.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Well Dave you would of lost that bet... I needed a vehicle to get to school and couldnt wait for a gasket to come in the mail so I went ahead and made one. It took me a little over a half and hour to make (gasket hole punches helped speed things up). I installed it and there hasnt been a single leak after riding a little over 50 miles today. But I do plan on rechecking the torque of the bolts, I found that of from past experience as well. I have made quite a few gaskets in my day, saves a lot money when you dont have any to spend.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                          X