Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start?

I'm a brand new member to GS resources.

A co-work's husband just presented me with a '78 GS750. He is the original owner and the bike has a grand total of 2089 original mi. It has been sitting in a garage since 1981. The price was right (free!) and I will make it a restoration project with my son. The carbs were removed and drained, as was the tank. There is a fair amount of corrosion on the cases and forks, but nothing that will be show stopper. I've restored a BMW and a couple of Brit bikes, but this will be my first stab at an older Japanese cycle (I have owned 5 over the past 35 years).

I know that the brake master cylinders and probably the calipers will need rebuilding. All the fluid leaked from the front MC leaving ugly crud in the bottom. I'm looking for any advice and suggestions on how to approach this restoration. I'll need brake parts, a battery, a rear chain, and ? who knows what else to get started. The carbs were stored in closed coffee cans and look pretty good, although I suspect that they should be disassembled, inspected, and cleaned.

Any suggestions on approaching this project would be greatly appreciated.

rickt

'78 GS750
    '82 BMW R65LS
    '87 BMW K75C
    '75 Norton Commando
    '74 Triumph Trident

For parts, I use mostly bikebandit.com. they have fairly good prices for OEM parts & are relatively quick with their orders. Make sure you get a good list of what you want to order though, as they have a flat shipping rate, so the more you can put on one order the better off you are. I have made the mistake of placing an order & then realizing that I missed something, just to have to put in a new order & paying another shipping charge again. Also, I would take the carbs apart for a closer look. My guess is that the O-rings are probably shot from sitting for so long. You can get an O-ring kit from cycleorings.com for that set of carbs (If they are stock they should be VM style carbs from Mikuni). Also don't forget about the intake O-rings. That should be a good start. I reciently purchased a 78 GS1000 from someone I work with that sat for awhile & went through what you are going through now. I had a lot of help from people here who have a lot more experience than I do. Most of the info I have given you has come from info that I recieved through this forum & a little from my experiences working on my own. Good luck to you!!!

Comment

Welcome to the GS Resources.I am fairly new here myself.I was a member several years ago...just kinda re-discovered it,it's gotten big!I have been to alot of areas on this site.There are some truly good people here who will help out a fellow gs'er any way they can.I would say you are starting at the right area.Brakes.Can't ride if you can't stop..I like the Clymer series of books on maint.There is alot of info in these forums as well that you won't find in the manuals.As far as working on these bikes go,they are remarkably easy in most area's,and there are alot of parts available for these bikes,many of them interchangeable with other models!I would also suggest a compression check,and lubing up electrical switches and connectors with some electric grease...Again,welcome.
      It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance. - Thomas Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post

A co-work's husband just presented me with a '78 GS750. He is the original owner and the bike has a grand total of 2089 original mi. It has been sitting in a garage since 1981. The price was right (free!) and I will make it a restoration project with my son. The carbs were removed and drained, as was the tank. There is a fair amount of corrosion on the cases and forks, but nothing that will be show stopper. I've restored a BMW and a couple of Brit bikes, but this will be my first stab at an older Japanese cycle (I have owned 5 over the past 35 years).

I know that the brake master cylinders and probably the calipers will need rebuilding. All the fluid leaked from the front MC leaving ugly crud in the bottom. I'm looking for any advice and suggestions on how to approach this restoration. I'll need brake parts, a battery, a rear chain, and ? who knows what else to get started. The carbs were stored in closed coffee cans and look pretty good, although I suspect that they should be disassembled, inspected, and cleaned.

rickt

'78 GS750
        '82 BMW R65LS
        '87 BMW K75C
        '75 Norton Commando
        '74 Triumph Trident
        I AM IN NO WAY A MOTORCYCLE MECHANIC, BUT DUE TO THESE GUYS HERE I HAVE DONE MANY THINGS ON MY BIKE I WOULD HAVE DEEMED IMPOSSIBLE FOR ME BEFORE I HOOKED UP WITH THESE GUYS.WELCOME TO THE GS FAMILY.THESE BIKES ARENT WORTH MUCH IN A PURE MONETARY SENSE, BUT THEY ARE PRICELESS WHEN IT COMES TO ROLLON THROTTLE RESPONSE.
        future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

As you are a new member here make sure you check out the front page of this site: http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm also try the search feature for any specific questions you have.

Also check out the links forum for parts and stuff: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...play.php?f=122

Also Brian (a member here) has a good rebuild site: http://bwringer.com/gs/
          Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2006, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rickt View Post

A co-work's husband just presented me with a '78 GS750. He is the original owner and the bike has a grand total of 2089 original mi. It has been sitting in a garage since 1981. The price was right (free!) and I will make it a restoration project with my son.

rickt
            My advise to you is simple, start at the front tire and go over everything ending at the rear tire, don't be afraid to let your son do some of the difficult things just show him the right way to do it, you won't regret either.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Some day theres gonna be a MN GSR ride. Spread the word about GSR. With all that english hardware I bet you have been to "First Thursday" in Uptown. Get that GS running and Ill see you there. Dave

PS: Welcome ! Its fun here !
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

\\/ RICKT... You'll find this site to be an awesome "RESOURCE" for the project ahead. Glad to hear from another Minnesota Boy, I was starting to think that I was the only one. Hi Dave! And yes, the Uptown Show is quite a spectacle. Having owned several bkies over the years, and just picking up the GS650L this year, I must say...what a ride :-D ! When yours is up and running, most likely next summer, we'll have to get together a ride...61 south out of St. Paul is great this time of year. Any help I may offer is up for grabs.

Dave H.
                Annandale, MN

Comment

Working...
                X